Chapter 6- Jake

Girls! Think they can boss everyone around. Fine. If Zoe wanted to stay, let her stay. But then some of my anger melted. I could hear her sobbing. I realized I had pushed her too far. I sighed and walked over to her.

"Zoe," I started. But before I could finish, she pulled a bow out of nowhere. She notched an arrow and aimed it at my chest. She was glowing with silver light. Literally. She had a silver aura around her, lifting her a few centimeters off the ground.

"Don't come closer, or I will shoot you," she warned. Her voice sounded different. I took a step back.

"Zoe, listen to me," I said carefully. "Everything's going to be fine. Just put down the bow and we can talk, ok?" For a second, I thought I saw her eyes glow, but when I blinked, it was gone.

"Jake, I don't know what's going on. Something's happening to me, but I can't control it. I'm scared," she sounded like she was about to cry, but the bow was still up, so I couldn't come closer to comfort her. On the bright side, her voice sounded normal again. Suddenly, there was a big crash outside and a spear sailed through the door an inch away from Zoe's hand, clattering to the floor. Startled, she released the arrow. I tried to duck, but I was too slow. The arrow hit my side and at first I couldn't feel anything. Then, the pain came. It was so agonizing that I fell to the ground. Black spots danced in front of my eyes, but I managed to stay conscious.

"JAKE!" Zoe dropped the bow and raced towards me. But then something stopped her. It was a monster! It looked like a mix between a girl, vampire, donkey, and horse. She pulled Zoe back and came closer to me.

"So, you're Jake, huh? Well Jake, come closer. I can heal you." she said in a dazzling voice.

"Jake, don't listen to her! She's an empousa! A vampire lady! She-" another monster shoved a rag in her mouth and held her hands behind her back.

"Jake, don't listen to her. I can really help you. Now,-" the rest was cut off as Apollo charged in. He pulled out a bow and shot an arrow through the empousa holding Zoe. Zoe spit out the rag and grabbed her bow just as a wave of empousai rushed in. Apollo and Zoe both started shooting everywhere. Whenever an arrow hit a target, the empousa dissolved with a shriek. Somehow, I got up and bit the empousa closest to me on the leg. She charged at me and was immediately hit by an silver arrow.

"Zoe!" I yelled, but two monsters cornered me. Even though I was weak from blood loss, I fought them off by stabbing them with arrows that had missed. Finally, all the empousai were defeated. Unfortunately, so was I. The effort was too much for me. Adrenaline was the only thing that had held me up during the fight, but now all that energy was gone and the pain came rushing back. I let out a gasp and then crumpled to the ground.

--------------------------------------------------------

5 votes/ 7 comments this time 4 an update by Thursday