prologue

"Her." Lisa Manoban pointed at the huge Yves Saint Laurent billboard to their right, with the sunset reflected on it. The traffic light turned red, and she gently pressed the brake of her Firecracker Red Clear-Coated Jeep Wrangler to slow down to a complete stop.

"You're kidding, aren't you?" Kim Jisoo, who was slumped in the passenger seat after another day's work searching for Lisa's muse, shot her friend a dubious look.

Lisa's gaze was fixed on the supermodel. "No, I'm not."

"Shit." Straightening up in her seat, Jisoo's feet fell heavily on the floorboard of the car.

The loud thud made Lisa shoot daggers at Jisoo's feet. "Your troublesome feet, please."

"Shit!" Jisoo repeated, reading Lisa's face all too well. "I know that yearning look. That spark in your eyes. Tssssssss." She scrunched up her nose. "You really aren't kidding."

"And you'll manage to get her through your connections like you always do, right?"

Jisoo released an audible puff, already browsing her phone contacts for possible help. "Can't promise you anything. That's Roseanne Park, only one of the biggest supermodels of the moment. She's YSL's global ambassador or something that huge, Lisa ManGogh-ban! She doesn't eat what peasants like us indulge with on the daily."

Unconvinced with the reasoning, Lisa pursed her lips. "So, you're saying she hasn't tried out Granny's makchang yet?"

Wild-eyed, Jisoo jabbed Lisa's shoulder. "Are you out of your mind? She doesn't even go there! But seriously you want me to get her to be your muse?!"

Beaming, Lisa patted Jisoo's cheek. "That's what you get for accidentally spilling paint on my work."

"Hey! I'm so sorry that your studio's always a mess—"

"You were very, very drunk that night," Lisa cut in.

"I'm so sorry too that you only realized seven months ago that your previous muse wasn't the right one!" Seeing no change in Lisa's silent admiration of Roseanne, Jisoo set her mouth in a hard line and scratched the back of her head to express her utmost incomprehension of the artist. "Fucking months and months of searching and you randomly just..." Her voice resigned knowing it was pointless to argue.

"That's how art happens." Lisa shrugged.

Jisoo narrowed her eyes at Lisa. "For the last five months, I've been scouting potential models for you, bringing them into your studio, and you just let the four hundred of them go!"

Lisa snapped her fingers along with a dip of her chin, acknowledging the statement. "Four hundred seven to be exact."

"Uhuh." Jisoo narrowed her eyes at Lisa. "If only you were more supportive of the shows I've produced and had taken some beating flipping the magazine covers I shot, then maybe since day one, you would know it's her!"

Lisa only laughed at her friend's dilemma.

Jisoo groaned. "You're evil."

"It happened by happenstance. Every choice I made from the coffee I consumed to the circumstances I found myself in, like being locked in my studio and missing your parties, were just building blocks that would lead to this moment. Quit complaining," Lisa explained as if it was not rocket science.

Jisoo slumped on her seat once again. "You lost me at happenstance but I'm good."

The light turned green, and Lisa put the car on drive to move forward, taking in what she could of the supermodel before returning her eyes to the road.