|19| Stone-Hearted

TARGET: 70 VOTES🌟

More than half a week went by, with no contact from Aryan's side

More than half a week went by, with no contact from Aryan's side. It was as if he wasn't even living in that house. In the mornings, before I woke up, he was already gone. In the nights, he came in late. All of which I know he did deliberately. To avoid me.

To avoid the stone-hearted person.

Like he had so eloquently told his cat a few nights ago.

I tapped the pen against the surface of the file that I had to present in an hour but couldn't focus on, all thanks to my dearest roommate for guilt-trapping me and personifying me as an evil, animal-hating witch.

Barely cutting through the submission deadline, I presented a half-baked idea during the meeting which was obviously rejected by the client.

Such a disappointment you are, Ria.

Just as I stood up from my seat to leave the conference room, frustrated at my lack of competence, my senior Partner, who was steering this particular case called, "Ria, Wait."

Settling on my seat again, I straightened my posture and asked, "Yes, sir?"

"I didn't expect such a messy hurried presentation from you." He stared at me with his mouth twitching, indicating that he wanted to say something more but was withholding himself from doing so.

I bit my lip, trying not to break eye contact or show nervousness. My stomach twisted into knots and my hands which were tucked in my lap, became sweaty. Rubbing them on the smooth black fabric of my pants, I put on my most confident persuasive smile.

"Sir, the presentation wasn't fully developed. The supplementary data that I am trying to work on would be made available to me in some hours by the team. I assure you that the outcome would be favorable by the time we have the next meeting."

He sighed, glancing at that expensive Rolex on his wrist, "Ria, I took you aboard on this case as my manager because I knew you had that unique knack for this industry that is required to figure out the solution to this case. I expect nothing but perfection in your work. Don't make me regret my decision. Is that clear?"

There's that word again, I hate it so much. Perfection.

Perfection in studies, perfection in career, perfection in social life, perfection in every goddamn thing. Ugh.

I confirmed loud and clear, "Of course, sir. I will try to wrap up this matter by the upcoming weekend."

"Send me the display report and mail your presentation draft too. I don't want the next meeting to be a disastrous blunder like this one was. Contact me if your face any problems. Will meet you tomorrow at eight," He instructed, checking his phone and then not staying even a second longer, he breezed through the door without any parting pleasantries.

Sigh.

A disastrous blunder indeed.

Having worked in this company for the past so many years, I had never seen any of my bosses being so aggrieved with my work. Almost like he regretted taking me up on this case. Like he thought I would never be able to crack the solution to this and present satisfactory results.