|39| Crossing Bridges

TARGET: 200 VOTES🌟

early update cuz you guys exceeded the votes target in the previous chapter!😭tysm!!

"Neend nhi aa rhi?" Aryan asked when I turned from my sleeping position for the hundredth time and the bed made a sound of protest under my shifting weight

(Not able to sleep?)

"Nhi..."

(No.)

Turning to lay on his side to face me, he reached out and ran a finger down my cheek, whispering softly, "Kyu?"

(Why?)

"I just keep thinking about all that happened today. About it means for our relationship ahead..."

Bringing my hand to his lips, he kissed my knuckles, murmuring, "And what was the conclusion you came to, after so many hours of overthinking?"

I bit the corner of my lip, contemplating. But the intensity of his gaze on me was messing with my nerves. The way his eyes–so tender and understanding–watched me as if he could peek into my mind, made it difficult for me to think.

"I think that it's frustratingly and utterly messy. The way we have blurred the boundaries tonight will make our lives and existence messy."

"And why do you think that?" He coaxed. He knew the answer to that question, I could see it on his face, yet he wanted me to speak it out loud.

Damn him.

"Because I won't..." I paused, unable to get the words out.

Aryan's eyes remained unblinking. Patient. He asked, insisting, "Because you won't, what?"

"Because I won't be able to..." I hesitated before continuing, "I can't return your feelings."

"You said that you can't, not that you won't..." He trailed.

I sighed longingly, closing my eyes. Damn him for being the most annoyingly observant person in the entire universe.

"Can I ask you something?"

Silence enveloped the dark room, as my eyes fluttered open at his question. The warmth of his fingers against my icy cheek sent a quiver down my neck, making goosebumps rise on my sensitive skin.

I hummed in approval, even though I knew that I wasn't ready to answer what he wanted to ask. Those mesmerizing brown eyes searched mine. Exploring and Imploring.

"What made you hate love?"

I inhaled sharply at the directness in his tone.

Chuckling nervously, I said, "That's a little dramatic and all, and-"

"Why do you think that you always have to keep that guard up around your heart, Ria?"

Guess we aren't sugar-coating our words.