|25| An Almost Kiss

Target: 95 VOTES🌟

Yawning, I trod towards the kitchen, still not fully awake. I stretched my torso to loosen the tight knots on my back. The satisfying sound of joints crackling was music to my ears.

Got to love lazy mornings.

Being a not-so-morning person, It wasn't every day that I woke up on my own, without an alarm. This was a big achievement for me.

But then, The commotion in the kitchen and the loud noise of utensils falling made me flinch. I stepped inside the kitchen with precaution, not knowing what sacrificial ritual was happening there to cause such noises.

The rotten smell of burnt food and the chilly fragrance of Maggi Masala spice in the air made my nostrils itch. I rubbed my nose to ease it but that only made me sneeze. Loudly. And Continuously.

A harsh curse came from the man at task, as he burnt his hand trying to grab the cooking pot with bare fingers. "Fuck this shit!"

"What in the devil are you trying to do!"

Turning to look at me, he put the burnt finger in his mouth, to alleviate the pain. I would have found that gesture ovary-tingling in a situation otherwise. Only if I wasn't struggling to keep my eyes open from the after-effects of the sneezing fit.

"I was trying to make us breakfast in celebration of you signing the social media deal with my company," He explained sheepishly. His eyes were puppy-like soft, begging to be forgiven.

I glared at him.

Momo raced around in circles at his feet, all jumpy and joyful.

"You were trying to make us a celebratory breakfast...at six in the morning? And then you burnt the most basic packeted food in the world. And now the whole kitchen smells of Maggi Masala."

He scratched the back of his head, ruffling his unkempt morning hair.

"Something like that."

"Aryan, it's humanly impossible to burn Maggi! You just need to boil it in water and put the pre-made spices. How-" I rubbed my forehead, trying to comprehend the mess, "How can you-" I shook my head, unable to put my anguish in words.

I moved toward the kitchen counter, to inspect the damage.

"Why do you do things which are so out of your realm?"

"I read the instruction behind the packet. It seemed easy enough. I think they are misguiding. It wasn't my fault! I followed them word for word. I swear."

Taking a peek at the charred bottom of the pot, I put my hands on my waist, staring right at him as he shuffled from one foot to the other, looking like a child who hadn't completed his homework.

"So you are telling me that you kept it in boiling water for just two minutes and not more than that?"

A guilty expression crossed his face. His shoulders slumped. "I might have gone up to the gym for my workout, keeping it on flame for maybe... a slightly longer time."