Chapter 9

"Superman, what is going on?" General Sam Lane asked when his son-in-law landed at the DOD's front door with an unnamed, unconscious black man at his hand.

"This guy just fell from the sky in a spaceship and high tech warsuit and tried to kill me." Superman said.

"Okay, say no more." Sam said as he signaled his men to take the guy away.

"Do you have any ideas on why this guy would try to kill you?" Sam asked.

"Maybe, but it's something I'd rather talk about in private." Superman said and Sam nodded, since this wasn't the first conversation they'd had that had needed to be done without listening ears, so he took him to a secure room on site and turned off the listening devices.

"Well?" Sam asked.

"I saw his ship crash through some kind of portal and based on what I can tell, I think he traveled here from some kind of alternate dimension." Superman said.

"I'm sorry what?" Sam asked, thinking he'd misheard Superman.

"I'm serious Sam. Ask any of your science nerds, they'll tell you about the multiverse theory. The archives at the Fortress have plenty of data on it, but until now, there was never any factual basis." Clark said.

"Clark, you have to admit this is stretching things a bit." Sam said.

"Sam, trust me, I've seen enough by now to know that nothing is impossible." Clark said.

"Still, it's not like there's a test we can run to confirm your theory." Sam said.

"Actually, I might have an idea." Clark said.

"And that is?" Sam asked.

"His ship was still relatively intact when it landed. If we can access its data core, we can get answers." Clark said.

"Think Jon could crack it, since honestly, this doesn't seem like something I would trust giving to my analysts." Sam said to him.

"Even if he could, I don't want to bring either of my boys any further into this life than they already are." Clark said.

"I can respect that. Honestly, the only reason I'm not mad at you for bringing Lois into this life is because she would've wound up in it on her own considering the kind of person she is. At least now she has Superman at her beck and call whenever she needs help out of a jam." Sam said and Clark nodded.

"Speaking of your daughters, any word from Lucy? I know Lois was kind of hoping that maybe she'd be there when the baby is born." Clark asked, still not believing that Lucy Lane of all people was involved in that cult nonsense.

"She calls every once and awhile, but she never asks about Lois, she doesn't even know Lois is pregnant and she also doesn't tell me where she is specifically so I can't tell Lois." Sam said.

"I really thought that maybe she might've tried to at least reach a middle ground with Lois by now." Clark said.

"Really? Because we both know that reaching a middle ground is not something either of my daughters is known for. They're both stubborn and headstrong and are very committed to believing they're right." Sam said.

"True. I just wish that we could've done something to prevent Lucy from falling in with Ally Allston in the first place." Clark said.

"Ally Allston is a snake. She sank her fangs into Lucy at a time when she was at her most vulnerable. Right after she'd finished her tour in the army after that ambush. By the time we got to Lucy, Ally had already twisted her to her cult. Nothing we could say would make a difference." Sam said.

"Sam, we'll find a way to get Lucy back. I promise. Someone like Ally won't be able to hide their true stripes forever and when she does, we'll be there to help her. But first, we need to focus on the guy I just dropped off." Clark said.

"Right. So, any ideas on where we can have the data in his ship cracked?" Sam asked as Clark got an idea.

"I might have one. But I need to head to National City." Clark said.

"Why National City?" Sam asked.

"Because I think this is something I should have my cousin take a look at." Clark said before flying off before Sam could respond.