Chapter 24

"You're really calling off all plans to attack Superman, Captain Luthor?" John Henry Irons' AI asked him once again aboard his ship.

"Yes and honestly, erase the profile for Lex Luthor. Create a new one for John Henry Irons." John said.

"As you wish Mr. Irons." the AI said.

"Call me John." John said.

"What would you like to do now John?" the AI asked.

"We start trying to save this world in a different way. We need to find out what could've driven Kal-El to the dark side on our world to make sure that it doesn't happen on this one." John said.

"I will begin trying to find a cause now." the AI said.

"Good. In the meantime, access this world's internet. I need to learn more about my doppelganger here, since it sounds like he was involved in some pretty shady shit." John said.

"Right away. However, I am picking up a strange signal." the AI said.

"What kind of signal?" John asked.

"We are receiving some sort of communication signal, however it is very weak and unstable. The connection is very poor." the AI said.

"Put it through." John Henry said, wondering who could be contacting him here when suddenly, an image of the last person he ever expected to see appeared on his monitors.

"Nat?" John asked in shock at seeing his daughter's face, though the connection was very poor and weak and kept cutting in and out.

"Dad, thank god, I wasn't sure if you survived that blast like I did." Natalie Irons said, her voice still cutting in and out.

"Nat, where are you?" John asked.

"I think I'm in another dimension." Natalie said.

"How did you escape our world?" John asked.

"My escape pod got me to safety when that energy wave hit and it sent me to another world and I guess your ship made it to one too, but since my AI can't detect a signal for your ship or your suit, I'm guessing that means we're not on the same worlds." Natalie said.

"I'm just glad to know you're alive. I'll find a way to get you here. Just stay safe until then." John said.

"I know. And I'm working on something on my end." Natalie said, though the connection began to get worse.

"Nat, what's going on?" John asked.

"The transmitter I built is losing power. Frankly, I'm amazed it held out this long." Natalie said.

"I'll find a way to get to you." John Henry said.

"I know dad. I know that somehow we'll find a way to be together again someday." Natalie said as the connection flickered out, leaving John feeling dejected, but also invigorated with new passion. However, now he was conflicted, since there was only one person he could think of who might be able to help him find a way back to his daughter and it was the man he'd just tried to kill. However, he had no choice, since his desire to see his daughter again outweighed any residual resentment he still held for Superman.

Now he just needed to figure out how to get a message to him. Then he realized that Superman and the DOD would likely be keeping tabs on him. He figured all he'd need to do is approach the DOD in his warsuit and Superman would come flying.

And his suspicion was proven correct, since about 2 minutes after he landed in front of the DOD's headquarters, Superman landed next to him.

"I thought you weren't going to cause anymore problems?" Superman asked him.

"Relax, I'm not. I just needed to get your attention." Irons said and he could tell he'd gotten Superman's attention.

"Why?" Superman asked.

"My daughter's alive, but she's in a place that's beyond my reach." Irons said and he could tell that he'd gotten Superman's attention.

"Come with me. I think that General Lane should be made aware of this conversation." Superman said and Irons nodded, grateful that Superman was taking him seriously.

"So, your daughter actually managed to make contact with you from an alternate dimension?" Sam asked Irons after he brought him and Superman up to speed.

"I know it's hard to believe, but it's true." John Henry said.

"I believe you." Superman said.

"You do?" John Henry asked.

"You do this job long enough, nothing surprises you anymore. Especially since we live in a world that's home to aliens and metahumans." Superman said.

"So you'll help me find my daughter?" John Henry asked.

"I'll try, but I have to admit, parallel earths aren't really my area of expertise, but I'll reach out to some of my other contacts to see if any of them can help. I promise, we'll find a way to reunite you with your daughter." Superman said, being a father of two with another one on the way himself.

"Thank you." John said.

"Are you sure you won't consider working here for me? I could use someone with your skills." Sam said.

"Ask me again once I have my daughter back." John said and Sam could understand that.

"Could you at least give me a way to contact you?" Sam asked as John handed him a phone.

"That will connect to my ship. But I am willing to work with you for now to find my daughter and make sure that this world doesn't go the same way as mine." John said.

"Looking into other factors that might have caused me to go bad?" Superman asked.

"Pretty much." John Henry confirmed.

"Keep me informed on that." Superman said.

"Don't worry, I will." John Henry agreed as they went their separate ways.