The Adoption

A/N - There is now a sequel to this book so please go and read that one after this if you enjoy this book. Please vote and comment even though I wrote this a while ago, I really appreciate it!

Zoe's POV

Unlike most other orphans, I didn't wish for a family. I wished for all my memory to become a blur, for any recollection of my previous 'home' to be gone. I was beaten, in every malicious way known to man, and at one point I never thought it would come to an end. Nevertheless, my battered, bruised body eventually caught the attention of my friends and then the police.

I had resided in the orphanage for a month, and I liked it. I had finally felt safe for the first time in my life.

"Zoe!" Mrs Brighton bellowed, interrupting my train of thought. "come down here please"

I sighed and made my way down to her office. I lingered outside of it when I heard voices from inside. I could hear Mrs Brighton's clearly, but to be honest, you could hear it from a mile away. But there were also what sounded like boys voices in there, I couldn't recognise them though. I knocked on the door nervously and before I could change my mind Mrs Brighton had flung open the door.

"Zoe! These boys would like to adopt you!" She bellowed into my ear.

I cowered from the noise and the boys tried to smuggle their laughter. I was just getting the ringing out of my ears when I realised what she said.

"They want to...what?" I asked, surely I had heard wrong.

I looked around at them. They looked about eighteen or nineteen. The funny thing is they looked strangely familiar.

"Why don't we introduce ourselves" one of them said, he had brown fluffy hair and a smile was plastered across his face "I'm Liam"

"Louis" another one said, holding up his hand.

"Harry" a boy with curly hair said.

"I'm Niall" one said, his accent sounded different to the others.

I turned to the final person who was sat quietly with a caring smile set upon his face. I suddenly felt considerably more shy and hunched my shoulders in a an effort to hide.

"Im Zayn" he said softly, and looked pleased when I sent him a small smile.

"I'll let you get to know each other!" She didn't even give me a chance to respond and walked quickly out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"God...does she always talk like that?" Louis said, poking his ear.

"No...this is one of her quiet days" I said truthfully, sitting down on one of the chairs.

Louis's eyes widened but soon he had to go back to getting his ears to stop ringing.

"So...tell us about yourself" Harry said, trying to make conversation.

"What do you want to know?" I asked.

"Your name would be a good start" Niall said laughing.

"I'm Zoe, though I'm pretty sure you heard Mrs Brighton yelling it, and if you didn't, you might want to get your hearing checked out" I chuckled.

"Fair point" Niall joined in my laughter.

"How old are you?" Zayn asked.

I don't know why they are asking these questions, surely they have read my file.

"I'm nine" I said.

"What are your hobbies?" Liam asked.

I looked around the room. I hadn't really done anything since I arrived at the orphanage, I just sat on my bed thinking.