|22| searching for a saint

The crows stood at the back of the carriage. A blue chest moving slightly, the keyhole shining eventually. Said keyhole blew off. Alina opened the top just to see the four of them standing there. Jesper set his hand in one of his pistols. "We don't want any trouble." He said cautiously.

"Neither do I, so I'll just be on my way." She went to move by Kaz slammed his cane to the side of the chest to trap her in.

"Clearly you want out of East Ravka." Jesper tried the conversation again. "We can help you."

Inej nodded. She still couldn't wrap her head around the fact she was in the presence of a Saint.

"We have a secure route through the Fold." Jesper told Alina.

"I prefer to travel alone." Alina said.

"Don't be rash." Jesper almost snapped. "You stick with us, everyone gets what they want."

Way to make it obvious. Practically letting her know we're trying to get her. Danny thought.

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again." Alina started to lose her cool. "So step aside and let me pass."

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen." Kaz glared. Alina lost it and summon light to blind them. Kaz and Jesper fell but Danny just jumped behind Inej who covered her face with her arms. The Suli woman put her hands up in surrender. She bowed. Alina then ran off, Danny looked up to see her running.

"What did you do?" She asked Inej.

"I let her go."

"Why?" Inej didn't answer her.

The two boys got up. "Start looking for her." Kaz ordered. Jesper and Inej ran off to do so. "Come with me."

"Okay." She said as she followed him.

"We need to find her. The money game-"

"Kaz. Is all you care about kruge?" She sighed and stopped walking. He stopped as well. Turning, he sighed too.

"No. Believe it or not. Now come on. We're going to meet Inej in that pub." He silenced her and walked to their desired destination.

"When did you two plan that?" Danielle asked him as she did a small jog to catch up to him.

"Don't worry about it. Let's go."

After about ten or so minutes, Inej met up with them. "No horses at the stables so..."

"So?" Kaz eyed her oddly, trying to get her to continue her sentence. "What? Are you going to tell me how the target got away?"

Inej sucked in a deep breath. "I let her go." Inej looked guilty. I had to. She thought. Danielle heard it. Letting out a breath, Elle shifted in her seat. She knew that Kaz will start losing his cool, she could hear his thoughts too.

"You were hired for a job." Kaz snarled at the Suli woman. Danny looked up at Kaz, her eyes slightly widened. He was so losing his cool.

"Yes, the job was to pick up a fake for an easy million kruge. We found a living Saint who can summon the sun." Inej leaned in, whispering to him.

Kaz leaned in now too. "A good magician is a good con artist." He snapped. He held up a Zemeni coin. He put his fingers over it, hiding it from the two girls' visions. "The trick... is to make it look real." It disappeared from his hands.

"This is different." Inej frowned. "You saw her summon with your own eyes. Danny did too."

"The best illusions are the most convincing." Kaz leaned back in his chair, seemingly quite aware that Inej was getting upset. "That's the game."