|5| planning

Kaz had gone out to Saints knows where yet again, leaving Danielle with Inej, the women making their meeting point. Once they got there, Jesper had been waiting for them.

"Started to wonder if I had the wrong time or place."

"This is where Kaz left word to meet." Danny confirmed.

"So, you know. It's worse today." Inej said, swirling a glass of water around.

"Worse how?" Jesper bewildered. "We had to sleep on that novice's floor. This body deserves a proper bed."

"Word is we also killed a constable." Stated Inej.

"What? I have so many questions. How? Why? Who? Where? When? I guess- wait no that's all of 'em."

"Last night, after you escaped from the wagon, Constance Sen was his name, shot with his own weapon, stadwatch are shaking down every informant they know." The wraith listed off, answering his questions.

Jesper shrugged at this. "I would never shoot someone with their own gun besides it's not even good frame up." He leaned back in his side of the booth. "Have you seen him today?"

Inej shook her head. "Avoiding questions I guess."

"Yeah, from the lot of us." Jesper sighed.

"Blowing up the Crow Club..." his expression turned serious again.

"Makes you wonder what else he's willing to destroy." Inej whispered as she twisted her cup around in the table again.

Ten or so minutes went by and finally the others showed up. "You made sure none of you were followed?" Was the first thing Kaz Brekker asked the three.

"Always." Answered Inej.

"Of course." Replied Danny.

Jesper scoffed. "Please."

Next to Inej sat Wylan and Nina. Jesper was in the window seat, beside him was Danny who was next to Kaz who had just slipped in.

"Oo. Is this place still serving breakfast?" Nina asked as she sat down, holding a menu.

"Jes has a question to ask you." Inej stared Jasper in the eyes as she spoke. Jesper glared at her. Jesper looked desperately at Elle but she shook her head and motioned for him to speak. Kaz slowly turned his head to look at the Sharpshooter.

Jesper shook his head slightly. "Look. A lot has happened since last night. We found out we lost our home, and then you," he looked to Wylan. "Blew it up just to piss off Pekka Rollins." He then looked back to Kaz.

The man scrunched his eyebrows. "And?"

Jesper whined and continued. "Have you heard we also shot a stadwatch with his own gun?"

"All stadwatch carry the same gun and it's standard issue." Kaz slammed his cane to the wooden floor. "This is Pekka Rollins firing back at us."

"Who is this Pekka Rollins?" Nina asked, looking up from the menu. "Every time you say his name your blood pressure skyrockets."

"That's not part of your purview. Heartrender." Kaz snapped. Danny set her hand on his arm for a moment to try and calm him down.

"You're right. But I tend to have opinions and- oop! Here's one: anger clouds judgment." Nina sassily replied.

"Pekka Rollins runs the Barrel." Inej told her.

"He cheated his way into and empire by running cheap cons. He isn't a boss he a scourge." Kaz hissed.

"If you hate him so much why not just hire me to kill him? Or hire me at all? Your sharpshooter or Wraith could take him out. Easy." Nina questioned. Danielle wasn't offended that she didn't mention her, she can't fight no matter all the training Inej had given her due to Kaz' request.

Kaz's mind went to a memory he had as a young boy. "It isn't enough to kill him."

Nina continued to stare at him as the others, minus Wylan who was staring at the table still, looked at each other.

Kaz shook his head. "Killing him doesn't help is clear our names. That's why I need all you you, so I can hang everything back on him."

Nina gave him a question look. "And we are the pawns who enact your personal vendetta?"

"The three of us, we'll and i guess now Evangeline too, are under equal jeopardy. And if they catch us, we can't protect you." As Kaz said that he looked to Nina. "And you'll have to turn to Pekka to see your man. No doubt with some very unappealing conditions attached."

"All of that said, Danny, Inej, and I need to know the plan." Jesper spoke, pointing to the three of them.

"Um. Yes, I- I too would like to know the plan." Wylan murmured. He crossed his arms.

Kaz looked at their surroundings before leaning in. "To get leverage on him, I need to know the scope of his business inside out. There are two ways to learn this. The first is by following his driver and tracking his schedule. The second, his accountant. Henrik Van Poel."

"If I get to Pekka's books, it will tell me everything I need to know. So, we need to get into that building."

Inej moved the blind so everyone could peek outside. Kaz continued, "it's where his accountant works. Although... there's no way of knowing which office."

Something in Nina's mind seemed to click and she got up. Kaz didn't bat an eye. "That's the mission." He concluded.

"It looks like a typical office building but it has a number of subtle features."

"So nothing for me to shoot?" Jesper asked.

"You can always shoot a lock if it makes you feel better." Inej said teasingly.

"You're sassing me. But I recall that got you out of a jam once." Jesper shot back at her.

Kaz rolled his eyes. "This place values anonymity. The doors aren't numbered, there are no names or placards. These aren't for business' clients to visit, this is for people who value discretion. So, Jesper and Wylan, you follow the driver. Inej, I want you to take watch on the roof. Bring Danielle with you and keep her safe whilst I'm down there."

Just then, Nina came back with a paper and a plate of waffles. Kaz stared at her disbelievingly. He shook his head and sighed. "I need you with me while I copy Henrik's books. Gunfire would only draw attention but a heartrender-"

"'Has many skills', yes. Like this: second floor, second last door in the left. Hmm." She pointed outside to the building they all needed to get to.

"What?" The Brekker boy asked with wide eyes and shock apparent on his face. What was she going on about? He thought.

"Henriks office." She said. "Do you mind?" She motioned to the pitcher of water and Inej grabbed a cup and poured her some.

"How do you know this?" Inej questioned.

"I asked the waitress." Nina said in a sing songy tone.

"How did she know?" Jesper then asked as well.

"People who work in places like that, they eat in places like this. And sometimes they get their meals delivered, so I said, 'um excuse me, but I have a delivery and i can't read the directions.' Ta da." The heartrender then placed down the card that had the directions on it and pushed it to him, smirking.

Jesper chuckled. "I like having her around."

Nina laughed a little at this. "And I like truth. You said you'd get me in to see Matthias."

Kaz nodded impressed by the new recruit.