2. Polly: Chapter Two

The Doctor Professor

Polly thrust the door open of the next room to see Henry sparking up his rod and striking a nearby desk. It fractured the wood and papers scattered everywhere.

"Come out, sir, let's get you off to the correct realm," he said as he steadied his weapon.

"What in God's name are you doing?" Cried Polly.

Henry turned to face her through the expansive goggles, "Nothing to fear, miss, I have it all under control. Please step back." He turned again and struck the wall, forcing debris and dust to scatter about the room.

Just then, the spirit appeared in front of them both. "Leave me alone!" It wailed.

"Sorry, chap," Henry raised his arm. "This is for your benefit, not mine." He was about to strike before a shout of, "Father!" The sound came from behind and he felt Polly leap onto his back and pull him down to the floor.

Geoff's spirit disappeared again and Henry fumbled around his belt, checking his contents before getting up or seeing if his attacker was ok. With a sigh of relief, and a prayer to Jesus, he stood up and helped Polly to her feet. Somehow he was not disappointed with the intrusion, "Are you hurt?" He asked.

Polly let go of his hand and stood up straight, "I'm fine," she replied. "I'm really sorry I had to do that, Mr Neville."

"That was a dangerous move. One that bore a lot of risks, the contents I carry on my belt could have blown us both up."

Polly inspected the bottles hanging by his hips under the coat, "What is that?"

Henry smiled, "Let's just call it liquid dynamite for now."

"What!" Polly gasped in shock horror. She took several steps back.

"We survived, take that as a blessing and a warning not to be too hasty again, Mrs..."

Polly looked him in the eyes, the man seemed so calm and serene for someone announcing death by explosion. She collected herself before replying, "Miss Polly Alexander." She announced confidently, although she did not feel much confidence in front of this gentleman.

"Miss Polly, pleased to meet you," he bowed humbly. "I know I don't need to ask why you stopped me, but may I ask why you are here?"

"Mr Neville..."

"Henry, please."

"Henry. I have no idea what is happening. My father has died, why am I seeing him now? Why are you chasing him around his work place?"

Henry paused before speaking, "Polly, I know you are taking a lot in right now but please let me explain a bit of it to you."

"Go on," answered Polly.

Henry took a chair nearby and ushered to Polly to take a seat in the nearest wooden chair that had survived Henry's onslaught of splintering wood. He pulled a small bottle out of a pouch from the rear of his belt and offered it to Polly.

She declined immediately, the thought of liquid dynamite was still on her mind.

"It's just gin," he shrugged and placed the bottle onto the table. "Your father; a great man I'm sure, is trapped here in our world."

"Our world?"

Henry nodded, "Yes; he should have crossed over to the next realm, like every other spirit when the body dies."

Polly perked an eyebrow, "You mean Heaven? Is Heaven real?"

Henry quickly removed his goggles as if remembering he should have removed them at the beginning of the conversation, his blond hair flowed out past his ears. Polly was enamoured at just how blue his eyes were. They gave a piercing faint glow even in the dim light of the room.