14. Interlude Two

From Hell To Hammersmith

Floating calmly through a void of white light and a vast ocean of nothingness, Luca Underhill contemplated her interaction with Dr Henry Neville, the man who had somehow unwittingly tore a hole in space and time with his portal to the world beyond.

Luca did not fear her current predicament; she was no ordinary human and had used this void previously to pass from one plain of existence to another, even though it had been some time since then. She had other methods of travelling and could appear anywhere she wanted in Britain within a matter of minutes. The whisperer some called her; a moment seen and a moment gone, leaving one to ponder whether she was there at all, like a whisper.

Henry had tapped the surface of her powers with his portal machine; switching it on almost dragged her from her own 'pathways' and right into his lap when he tore the hole. Since that moment, Henry always appeared to be not far behind whenever she carried out her orders. There was a deeper connection between them than merely him chasing ghosts and she knew she would have to keep an eye on the doctor's work and how it might affect her, and the work of her master.

After watching Henry's progress she contemplated whether he could be the key to helping her stop her master. He, the harbinger of death, ruler of the dark realm and the spirit of the night; he who puppeteered her life, stalked the shadows of her movements and refused to let her love or live an ordinary human life with other people. However her doubts were confirmed that the doctor was nowhere near ready enough to join her fight after his ineffectiveness against the class four entity in Hammersmith. Luca decided the fight was still hers, and she alone would defeat him.

There was however, the matter of getting back to London, out of the void; something she was very adept at doing but she enjoyed the calm serenity of the nothingness surrounding her.

Alone with her thoughts, Luca looked back over the moments that led her down this path and the loss of her composure with the class four entity back in Hammersmith.

***

Standing silently on a sand covered strip of road, with fields of fresh green grass on the one side and the most golden of all beaches on the right, Luca watched idly as fresh new souls passed her by on their way to the world beyond. She had a job to complete, a job she was reluctant to follow through. She despised her work, and in all honesty, at times, despised herself; and that feeling was becoming more the regular the more she spoke to souls and diverted their paths from the promised peace of the forever beyond.

During a recent trip to west London, Luca had learnt that the real world was full of very bad men and women. People so cruel they needed to be punished. She always held some high self regard for herself, for in her young years studying in the north east, she helped piece together the puzzle that put an end to one serial killer, Mary Ann Cotton. A name that will forever be branded into her memory.

Luca's attention was caught by a particular  elderly woman making her way down the path. She looked ordinary to most but Luca looked past the ordinary; she could see the elderly woman's entire world. Luca immediately knew the woman's name and that of her children and grandchildren. From that information she was also immediately aware of the dangers her still-living son was in. Piecing together a chain of information from the various souls that had passed through she could make out this elderly woman's adult son was about to fall into the same financial trap and death as many others she had spoken to.

If her master wanted her to send certain souls back to earth he would have to make do with an equal number of good ones too. She decided to approach the elderly woman and help guide her back home.