5. Polly: Chapter Five

To Rescue

"What do you see?" Polly asked with one boot pressed firmly against the wooden box Henry was standing on.

"Not much, the lighting is dim. Two men eating porridge, I think. Could be soup, there is bread on the table."

"Never mind that!" Polly hissed.

"Sorry," replied Henry, "I am starting to feel a little peckish." He had his face in his hands and pushed against the plate glass window. His goggles were positioned to rest on his forehead

"Any children?" Polly asked impatiently.

Henry sighed, "Negative."

"What about the men?"

"Neither match the description of Mallory, and big Bill isn't one of them," Henry replied.

Polly released her foot on the box in frustration, causing Henry to wobble and fight to regain balance. "Next building then," she said in a commanding tone.

"I'll remain in charge if that's ok with you," Henry replied defiantly as he climbed back down.

Polly shot him a daring glare, "Fine, Doctor. What now?"

Henry gulped, "Next building, Miss Alexander. Lead the way."

Polly nodded in approval. She did not like snapping at Henry, or talking abruptly in general. However, she knew she was out of her depth. She wanted nothing more than to be at home getting ready for her job at the postal office in the morning; not chasing around after thugs at the docks, with the most peculiar man, and one she had only just met. She prayed Henry would forgive her once her father's work was complete.

The next building came up empty, as did the following three buildings. Polly was beginning to lose hope in ever finding the children.

"We'll find them," Henry said reassuringly. "They may be closer to the boats."

"Or on the boats," Polly replied doubtfully.

They had to creep and hide behind more boxes as the human activity was livelier the closer they got to the water, making it increasingly harder to sneak around despite the sun setting and the sky darkening.

"Having your father here would have been a huge help," Henry said as he peered through a hole and counted at least six men between them and the first ship.

Polly rolled her eyes, "Can't you zap them with that rod you carry?"

"Not all of them," replied Henry. "I will most certainly be captured." He lowered his voice, "I have never been in a proper fight." He admitted.

Polly gasped, "Never?" She slumped downwards, "Exactly how are we planning on getting us and them out of here?"

Henry looked in her direction and released a long breath, "Things just sort of happen for me. Luck, chance, call it a spirit guide if you will, but when I help folk they usually show me the path and everything else just falls into place. Doors open up that were previously locked, so to speak."

"Jesus Christ," Polly said as a curse. Henry did not like that. She continued, "You've dragged us down here with dangerous men and you're waiting for things to just fall into place?"

"Well when you say it like that."

"Like what, Henry? You're an idiot."

Henry did not answer, resulting in a long awkward silence. He stared down at the ground as if contemplating his own life.

"I'm sorry, Henry. You're not an idiot. I'm just frightened. Scared of what is going to happen next. To us, to the children. I don't want to be here."

"No it's ok, you are right," Henry finally replied. "I don't know what we're doing, what I'm doing." He sighed, "What I do know is that there are lives that need saving. We were meant to meet each other today, and I'll be damned if we are captured or killed before those children are safe at home, away from torment."