10. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Three

No Effect

Polly stood with Elizabeth Allan near the Chelsea embankment. The former checked her silver pocket watch, a gift from her employer, for the fifth time. Henry was nowhere to be seen.

"Did the scientist say a time to expect him?" Elizabeth asked. She was anxious but did not want to appear pushy.

Polly sighed, "This, unfortunately, is how Henry works." She tucked the watch into the pocket of her skirts. "His second telegram told me to bring you straight here."

"I don't like this place," Elizabeth shuddered. "I want my husband back."

Polly put a comforting hand on her shoulder, "If this spectre has anything to do with his disappearance, Henry will find him."

"How did you get into this line of work? If you don't mind me asking," Elizabeth asked curiously.

Polly thought of her father and the event that changed her life forever, "The day I met Dr Neville was quite an adventure. I have stood by him ever since."

"He seems quite eccentric," Elizabeth replied.

Polly smiled, "Very."

Elizabeth laughed in return. They found themselves casually strolling along the embankment towards the location of the spirit.

"Are you sure this is the place? I would have expected more of a police presence," asked Polly as she scanned the area, surprised to not see anyone patrolling.

"Over there by the water is where it happened. Where I last saw my..." Elizabeth trailed into thought.

Polly then had no doubt they were in the correct location. After walking a little further, they saw two uniformed officers.

"Ev'ning ma'ams. Please keep moving, this area is currently restricted," said the older officer. A tall man with a proud moustache.

"What's going on?" Polly asked ignorantly.

"You'll have to read the paper in the morning like every other good civilised person in London," Moustache spoke again.

Elizabeth stepped forward, "Please, officer."

"Sergeant," the tall man coughed.

"Excuse me, Sergeant. My husband was here last night. He's missing, we are here to find him. Please help us."

"I'm sorry, miss. We are dealing with something more severe than a missing persons case. You need to file a report at the station."

"Sergeant, we know you are dealing with a murder case. It was in this morning's paper. We would like to prove it is not our man and give Mrs Allan here much needed peace of mind," Polly said firmly.

"Listen, miss. We cannot help you. Once the victim has been identified we will notify their immediate family, as procedure."

Polly was becoming irritated by Sergeant Moustache, "So, you have not identified the man?"

"It's ongoing, miss."

"What about the murderer? And the rumours they are not human?"

"Ongoing investigation. It's always human, that's why it's called murder. Do you understand?" The sergeant spoke rudely.

Elizabeth pulled Polly's arm, "Let's go. We should wait for the scientist."

"Yes, please move along. This is not a safe place for women."

Polly stared at the officer angrily, "What do you mean by that, Sergeant?"

The sergeant smiled, "There's still a murderer on the loose," he said with a wink.