9. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Two

Spook Or False Play

Henry stepped out of the carriage outside the castle-like home of Lady Donovan. The stone exterior stood tall and proud. The manor was hundreds of years old, dating back to the time of Queen Elizabeth I.

Lady Marie Donovan strolled gracefully down the beautifully carved steps of her mansion to greet him.

The carriage left the long road of the grounds quickly, leaving Henry with his rod, tin box and a bag, smiling enthusiastically at his host.

"Welcome, welcome, Professor." Lady Donovan was smiling broadly, although signs of sleep depravity were showing in her eyes. She was considered a very active socialite for her fifty six years. Her hair was full and grey and held neatly in a bun. She wore an exquisite party dress, black to mourn the sudden passing of her husband some three months previous. Though still grieving, she kept up the appearance of being proper in front of guests.

"Good morning, m'lady," Henry said smoothly and took her hand to kiss it gently.

"I trust you had a pleasant trip and are here to provide a solution to my 'pest,' problem?" Lady Donovan emphasised on the word pest.

"I have a few solutions to free your home of unwanted guests, ma'am," Henry replied.

"Then please, Mr Neville, waste no time. Come inside."

Henry followed the eccentric lady back up the steps towards the manor, "Have there been any disturbances throughout the night?"

"Just the usual, my late husband's pipe is missing and the creak of his rocking chair emulating in every room below it. The maids say they have spotted a sight or two."

"I see. I know we have ruled out Gerald, but I fear it may be worth keeping an open mind again."

"Do you really suspect my late husband could still be with us? I knew that bastard would never leave me alone," Lady Donovan led Henry through the main hall, their steps echoed across the marble tiled floor. "You better go upstairs to his study. If it's him, that's where he'll be."

"M'lady," Henry responded and immediately ascended the stairs. He ignored the many portraits that covered every inch of the walls, all of which he had studied many times before of Lord Donovan and his family.

As he reached the top landing, an image in the window pulled his attention. A young blonde woman was staring up at him from the expansive garden. She was sat on a low tiered wall of a fountain and was looking at him as if she had been watching the window waiting for him.

She was too far away to point out any distinguishable features, but Henry made out a smile on her lips when he raised his hand for a greeting. As far as he was aware, Lady Donovan lived alone save for servants, but this woman was not dressed like a house maid. He stared back at her for a few more moments until something suddenly caught her attention and she sprang off into a nearby summer house out of sight.

Peculiar, Henry thought and turned to find the door he sought. He entered cautiously, closing the door and pausing as he looked into the eyes of a gaunt transparent face.

"Oh, it's the Professor," said a deep whisper that filled the room. "Still missing your doctorate?"

"Lord Donovan?" Henry asked, choosing to ignore the remark.

"Creeping around outside, I feared you were that cursed woman," Gerald whispered hoarsely. Even without a physical body, Henry could still make out his previous physical shape. The transparency showed an outline of a large round stomach, wide hips and an overall stout look. A face as round as his gut with pointed nose and curled lips.