4. Polly: Chapter Four

Finish The Unfinished

"How what?" Henry asked standing beside Polly.

The clerk blinked several times, struggling to work out where she was. She glanced at Henry briefly and felt an urge to hug him, but quickly collected herself, "You could have been killed. Why did you antagonise my father?" She slapped his arm instead.

"I'll add it to the list," he smirked in response. "I have no idea where Mr Alexander has got to."

Polly suddenly remembered what happened, "I know what he wants," she exclaimed, probably a bit too excitedly. "I need a drink," she said with the lid of the gin already hitting the floor. After a few mouthfuls, the image of Bill murdering her father came to mind. A tear formed.

"What's wrong?" Henry asked softly, taking the bottle from the distraught woman.

Polly looked him in the eyes, "My father's death was no accident. It was bidded by Mr Picking... A horrible man."

"Murder?" Henry replied, his expression dropped.

"Yes, by his henchman."

"Is this what he told you?" Henry was keen to learn everything.

"I had a vision. My father was showing me what happened. I was somebody else. I... I saw... Things..."

"Interesting..." Henry murmured, mainly to himself. "What did he show you?"

"There were children, stolen from their families by an unpleasant man."

"You believe Mr Alexander somehow knew of this, so Mr Picking had him murdered?"

"Yes, my father was murdered because he found out about their scheme."

"Interesting indeed," Henry murmured again. Speaking up he said, "Seems my employer is covering up blood money. If you are sure of this then you have found your father's unfinished business. You have a knack for this work. If only he would stop disappearing."

"I'm not sure I want any part in this, Henry. Let's just go to the police now. This goes deeper than just you trying to send my father away."

"We have a duty, Miss Alexander. Our job now includes a rescue operation. Tell me about the children?"

"Our job?" Polly questioned doubtfully.

Henry smiled pleasantly, "Your father is being stubborn, and it seems for good reason. He will not be able to rest until we save those little ones. This will require both our efforts. Are you ready, Polly?"

"I do feel you are limiting my choices, Doctor," Polly exclaimed.

"You're doing this for Geoff, it is definitely what he wanted."

Polly let out a long hard sigh as response.

"That's the spirit, no pun intended. Now tell me, where are the children?" Henry said in the first serious tone that Polly had heard from her new colleague.

"They've been taken to the dockyard. Possibly around twenty or so, I think they've been taken in small groups. He mentioned working in tight hulls. Oh I do hope they're not being sent away somewhere by boat. That would be most dreadful." Polly fell to her knees in dismay.

"This is truly fascinating," Henry replied.

Polly looked him in the eye, "Excuse me?" She said, offended. She stood back up and threw him a glare.

Henry pulled out a notebook and began scribbling notes, "Not the children, that is tragic. The contact you have made, how Mr Alexander has shown you this information. This needs further study."