15. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter One

No Entry

The trip to Ealing via carriage was shorter than expected, it was just after ten when they had arrived near Walpole Park to the residency of the Bonham's.

Having walked everywhere before that fateful day in the factory, Polly was still not fully accustomed to Henry's excessive uses for a carriage and the discomfort of riding in one in a long dress. Henry had offered to buy her a steed of her own but the cashflow was limited with the construction of a lab in Fulham well under way and neither of them had the heart to tell the Allan's just exactly what their bill came to. Fortunately Polly promptly declined the offer of a horse without hesitation.

"We have a number of cases we have not looked into yet and one falls into your lap and we're straight over here?" Polly asked for clarification.

"This has to be one of the strangest readings I have come across and we are immediately attacked on the doorstep? That is no coincidence, I fear a spirit wanted us to do this case but another may want us to stay clear of it. That's precisely the little red flags I chase after. Besides we prioritised Elizabeth at your choosing, the other 'bump in the night' cases can wait a few more days."

"It's the ones that warned us that I'm concerned about," replied Polly dryly.

"It's those ones that let me enjoy what I do. If there's an underground operation happening with members of the spirit realm, I want in on it. If the master is linked to Estella's ghost then this is exactly where we need to be right now."

Polly sighed heavily, "Fine, but you don't have to say it with that stupid grin of yours," she mocked playfully.

"I'm sorry," Henry laughed. "I get excited with every new discovery."

"Meet a woman for goodness sake," Polly joked.

Henry sniggered to that but did not respond. They passed a few more houses until he ushered the driver to stop and announced they were at the home of the Bonham's. They tipped the driver and stepped out of the carriage and stood outside large iron gates.

Henry pushed the gate open with a loud screech and gestured for Polly to go, "Ladies first," he grinned.

Polly rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath, "Goodness sake." She repeated before walking slowly up the pathway, "Garden could do with some maintenance," she remarked as she reached the worn stone patio leading to the front door.

Henry knelt down and scooped a cup of soil into a jar at his belt, "This needs investigating."

"What are you doing?" A perplexed Polly asked.

"Look at the plants, the grass. Even the weeds. Nothing is growing naturally, they all sort of look dead," Henry pointed to the dull pale green withered leaves of the plants, they were alive but far from flourishing. They showed clear signs of nutrient deficiency, "There was more life in old Thomas I'd say."

"You're a botanist as well now? Let's just meet Miss Estella already. This place is already giving me the creeps," Polly shuddered then wrapped on the door three times. Henry followed closely behind then stepped in front as the door slowly creeked open.

The balding head of a short middle-aged man appeared in the doorway. His appearance suggested a soul exhausted of options. His loose fitting suit was worn and torn in places with several unrecognisable stains. His eyes were dreary and dark. A man close to giving up on everything, "Yes," he croaked.

"Good morning, Mr Bonham. My name is-" Henry started to say before the door was abruptly closed on him.

"Have you got the right place?" Polly asked with uncertainty.