16. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Two

The Police

Henry and Polly were stood on the corner of Haldane Road, Chelsea by the time Sergeant Cane had finished briefing them about the mentally challenged man named Gary he had in cuffs back at the station. An hour had passed since Henry spoke to the young possessee about his apparent ordeal and now Cane wanted Henry to find any proof in the claim. Polly once again not feeling very optimistic about their current predicament rather wished they stayed back at Henry's home.

"I'm not sure why Cane felt the need to leave us on the side of the road," Polly exclaimed.

"The sergeant has his reasons, ours is not to question why," Henry replied softly. "Now, we must find twenty-three."

"I wish you would question it sometimes rather than just do," replied Polly dryly.

"I'll remember that for future reference. Let's get going, Cane wants us to investigate this place for activity while it's empty. He is giving us another half hour before the constables arrive."

"I'm sure the spirit, if there is one, followed Gary. Besides, what about the apparent victim? Where are they?"

"Presumed missing. I would hazard a guess that he's long gone," Henry replied with certainty.

"Or still hiding upstairs," Polly responded doubtfully.

"We'll wager on that, Miss Alexander. Loser buys dinner.

"Deal," his assistant replied happily.

After finding the residence they required Henry knocked several times. "You never know," he shrugged his shoulders. He tried the handle but the door was locked.

"Let me try," Polly lightly pushed Henry aside, got down on her knees and pulled out a hair clip and began picking at the lock; the door clicked open but was immediately halted by an iron chain lock on the other side.

"They certainly don't want people coming here unannounced," Henry said. "There must be a back door or who else rechained the door?"

"Do any of your gadgets cut chains?" Polly asked.

"Unfortunately not, we'll have to try around the back. Did you see an alley?"

"No," replied Polly.

Henry leant against the door to think. He let out a short panicked scream as the chain unbolted and the door flung open, throwing him to the rough floor of the hallway.

"I suppose that means your spirit guide is back?" Polly said as she stepped over the fallen scientist.

"I guess it does, pity they weren't there when Thomas was around," Henry jumped to his feet. "Are you going to tell me how you know to pick locks?"

"And have you judge me, Dr Neville? I think not," Polly said casually.

"Judge you how?" Henry replied.

Polly paused, "A person of my skin colour with skills in breaking and entering? It would hardly be a shock to assume I delve in petty crime."

"You know I would never judge you like that, I am just eager to learn more of your past. Tell me, how do you know?"

Polly sighed, "My dad taught me a few tricks once. After his freedom no one would employ him. He had no choice but to turn to the streets for a while before he finally earnt secure employment. I have never used those skills to wrong others for profit mind."

"Duly noted. Where do you want to start?"

"Outside walking home," Polly said seriously.

"Upstairs it is," laughed Henry before beginning the ascend.