19. The Stalking of Estella: Chapter Five

Return of the Acquaintance

Several slow and peaceful hours had passed since Luca had thrown herself back into the void by attacking the spectre in Hammersmith. It was now time to return to London and begin searching for the doctor.

She used the quietness of the void to just slowly drift around thinking about her next move. It was now clear her master needed to somehow be defeated, to do that, Luca first needed to take out his most loyal servant and guard, Shade. She was weary about allowing her actions to be known as she did not want Henry discovering her again until she was ready; there was also the need to keep her own master from discovering her plans.

The young woman returned to Fulham and went in search of Hugon Road. It was the early hours of the day after the events in Hammersmith and she had no idea whether the doctor would be home or not.

She found the house she worked out to be his, Fifty-six. The dark year, Luca shuddered at the memory Henry's door had provoked.

The door was locked but Luca did not need keys nor handle to pass through one place to the next. She made sure no one was around in the street before a portal opened and she found herself stood in Henry's front room.

After inspecting the room and musing at the little gadgets of unknown use on a side table, Luca suddenly gasped and stumbled, knocking the table and the items on top of it. This caused a stir from the sleeping body on a make-shift bed in the centre of the room. How Luca did not notice the woman before is beyond her.

"You must be the famous Polly," Luca whispered softly as she leaned over and studied the lying woman's face. "Nice to meet you, officially."

This caused another stir and Polly's face scrunched up, "Go away, Neville," she murmured.

Luca backed away and left the room, "We'll meet again," she whispered. Luca ascended the stairs and paused near the top when she spotted the sleeping figure of Henry slouched across his desk.

She decided to stay quiet this time so as not to stir him like she did Polly. She crept slowly across the landing towards the open door of his office; he was sleeping peacefully despite his position.

"Oh, Henry, what a predicament we find ourselves in," Luca whispered softly. She examined the files around his desk, paying close attention to the beige hard covers and Henry's use of simple font.

With a stroke of luck Luca picked up a blank file and proceeded to write down necessary details about the poor girl Shade was currently tormenting. It pained her knowing what was happening to Estella but there was nothing she could have done before now to her master's favourite servant. Now was the time to stop them both, now was the time to include the doctor laying across his desk beside her. She looked down at Henry and smiled, blushing she thought, He is handsome. I wonder if a man such as Henry would kiss a demon woman like me?

Luca kicked herself for straying from her task. She finished writing a brief description of what her knowledge of Estella Bonham allowed and placed the file near Henry's arm. She gently brushed his hair, and felt butterflies in her stomach as she lightly touched the warmth of his skin. Luca had never allowed herself to get close to anyone, nor had she allowed any man to touch her for fear of what her master may do to her or them.

Henry began to stir and Luca instantly recoiled her hand. She was about to whisper gently into his ear but another presence caught her attention. Spirits were lurking near the house, she could sense them. Luca scanned the room, they were not inside yet.

"Henry," she said nervously. "Henry!" She said more abruptly.

Henry woke up and Luca heard him speak her name but she was already entering another portal to escape. She was not proud of doing so but she could not risk battling too many spirits in such short a time lest her master finding out what she was up to.