16. Follower

💧

"You're really getting on my nerves"

Chepi doesn't know what to do.

"Who do you think you are, huh?"

It's so awkward. Her shoulders are slumped, her knees are pressed together and her mouth is pressed into a thin line. She fiddles with her hands in front of her, looking down at her feet like they're the most interesting thing in the world. The high, fresh green grass covers her thin leather shoes, creating wet marks from the remainder of the morning dew. Chepi doesn't know what to say. It's so awkward.

It's just been a few minutes since they caught her, and they've already managed to drag her far away from the market in the centre of the town, right into the forest sitting nearby. Here she is, seated on a rock, while a demon and an angel are somehow working together to yell at her about what she has done. Chepi doesn't know what kind of mind manipulation this is, but it's almost working. She feels bad, kind of. Bad for running away even though that is definitely what she is going to do in the future, and what she would've done if she could do it again.

These two are crazy. Instead of focusing on hating each other, they've managed to turn their anger on her instead. Perhaps it's a way to keep themselves from fighting each other. Either way, Chepi is hating it. Usually she is the one with the upper hand, but now it feels very different.

"Did you think you could just run away without any consequences? Do I look like a good person who'd just forgive something like that?"

Anemone towers over her like a dark shadow, her tone holding the edge of a threat. Chepi is starting to understand what this is. Not mind manipulation, but a scare-tactic. They're trying to scare her into doing as they say. Chepi refuses to meet Anemone's eyes, even as the demon has clearly asked her to look at her. She's not going to fall for their tricks.

Instead, she turns her head to look at the archangel instead, not saying a word. Evangeline scoffs, shaking her head.

"Don't look at me, fairy. I'm not any nicer just because I'm an angel"

Chepi looks back down at the ground. She believes her.

No other angel looks that scary. She's got eyes that feel colder than the northern mountains and muscles big enough to scare even the mightiest of soldiers out of their wits. The ugly stare that she has, the terrifying, intimidating, ugly stare, is proof enough for Chepi that Evangeline is not much better of a person than Anemone, who in turn is a literal demon leader. (Known for being gruesome enough to have other demons respect her).

Honestly, Chepi is surprised that Anemone has let her get away with as much as she has gotten away with this far. But that doesn't mean that she's going to let herself be scared by their scolding and anger.

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

Anemone looks down at her, voice unbelieving. Chepi doesn't acknowledge the question. She hears the demon click her tongue against the roof of her mouth, and crouch down to her level. Anemone stays there, for a second, not saying a word. The sounds of the forest surround them. Birds singing, the sun shining from behind the trees, and large clouds forming somewhere in the distant horizon. Anemone suddenly reaches out and grabs her chin, forcing the fairy to look upwards.