19. A common destination

💧

"I thought a demon was bad enough, Dieq!"

"Alright so we're going first name now-"

"But an archangel! An archangel, Dieq! A R C H A N G E L, as in A R C-razy fucking archangel who's teaming up with a demon, of all creatures, to kidnap my sister! I mean do you even know how insane that sounds?"

Nayan slams the doors of the stables open, his eyes burning with an unfamiliar rage that he usually compresses deep, deep down in his heart. The kind of rage that he doesn't want to see in himself, because it resembles his father. The kind of rage that can never be good, but somehow just feels so perfect right now. So fitting. Because his sister is probably miles away with a blue teardrop crystal in her heart, held by not just some all-powered demon, but also a stupid, fucking archangel.

An archangel, who is... hmmm, let him guess, oh! Probably the same archangel who came to his house to ask about Chepi the other day. Probably that one. Yeah. Probably that fucking one.

Archangel Evangeline of the higher realm. Deadly killer Evangeline who he has personally trained with and fought with at the front lines. Fought with against the demons she seems to be working with now. How beautiful. How perfect. How fantastic. Nayan grabs the saddle strings of his horse, and jumps on it with terrifying ease. Despite being angry, he can easily control the animal after years of experience. The horse barely makes a sound. Dieq is rushing after him, and as always, Eang is after Dieq.

"You need to calm down, Nayan, or else we'll never find them on time"

"Archangel Evangeline is the one with Chepi" Nayan blurts out. Dieq gets up on his own horse, a frown on his face. Eang does the same. "Archangel Evangeline? How do you know that?"

"Who's Evangeline?"

Dieq and Nayan both turn to look at Eang. It must be a pretty intimidating sight. Both of them are enchanting in their own little ways. Nayan with his fierce look, Dieq with his powerful one. Eang makes a 'what?' face, not seeing the problem. Is everyone just supposed to know all the archangels by name? He knew all the old ones, but now there are like what.. three? Four? New ones, and he just hasn't taken the time to fully memorise which one is which, which one does which and which one is important. But of course these two princes know. Of course.

"The archangel Evangeline is one of the three archangels in charge of relations between the higher realm and this realm. She fights on the front lines, and does assignments too dangerous for any other angel in the middle realm" Nayan sighs, turning away from Eang before he continues. "Dangerous assignments like retrieving the blue teardrop crystal, which, as you both know, was stolen by Chepi on prince Dieq's orders" He gives Dieq a pointed look and receives an eye roll in return. Nayan scoffs.

"That's how I know it's her. She came to see my father last week. Told us all about it"

Dieq laughs a little to himself.

"So that's how you knew to come to me. She told you that I was the one who ordered it?"

"Yes" Nayan smiles at him sarcastically, his fists clenching around the saddle strings. "So, that's why this is all your fault and now they are going to take her to either the higher realm or the lower realm and she'll be rotting in one of their stupid dungeons for the rest of her life, all because I couldn't stop her from leaving that one stupid night and because you, you- you couldn't stop yourself from giving her that one stupid assignment, and now-" he breathes out, suddenly feeling a little winded. The stables are eerily quiet. Nayan looks away. "And now all is lost and we should just... we should just go home because this was stupid from the beginning and we aren't even close to saving her yet"