23. A sweet blue touch

💧

Chepi smiles at the sun above her. She looks back down at the demon, and frowns at the large amount of wood in her hands. She reaches out to take some.

"You shouldn't strain yourself that much, let me help you."

Anemone scoffs and takes the slabs of firewood right back from her. "I'll carry this quite well on my own, little fairy. How about you go sit there by the tree."

The demon points at the luscious, green tree sitting somewhere in the shadows of the grove they've settled into. After several long and gruesome days, the rain has finally stopped. They are in that blissful state between drought and rainstorm, where the ground is still wet and recovering, puddles are everywhere, surface levels are high and the sun is warm and bright in the sky. Birds sing from the trees, the leaves look bigger and more colourful. The soil is no longer just liquid mud, instead it has dried enough to be hard and steady to stand on. All in all, the weather is quite perfect. Even the wind is politely warm.

"I'm not weak, you know. I didn't steal the crystal out of pure luck." Chepi muses, moving to go sit by the tree anyway. She's happy that she doesn't have to shiver under the rain anymore. Even her clothes have dried, for the first time in what feels like a year, but is probably a few days short of a week.

Since the air is much clearer and the ground no longer tormented by the constant rain, flowers have begun to pop up and face the warmth. Chepi looks down at them and can't help but smile faintly. There is always a positive in life to look up at. Kidnapped or not, this is still an adventure, and that's what she's looking for. Adventure. That's all she's ever wanted in life. Being a princess and a soldier for the third war is so not her style. Chepi drags her hand through the grass. There are all kinds of flowers. Pink, yellow, blue...

She smiles at the blue flower and picks it. Anemone scoffs in her direction, putting the firewood down.

"It was mostly luck, as far as I remember it."

Chepi rolls her eyes. Luck? Nothing of her journey there was luck, not a single thing.

She received the mission from Dieq three months before the crystal appeared. She trained physically for all those three months and planned out her route and escape plan and everything, even mapping out potential enemies that might appear around the same time. Evangeline was on her list, as the most probable angel. Anemone was not. Demon leaders aren't as well known, as they prefer to keep themselves private.

Chepi left the capital two weeks beforehand and slept in the blue enchanted forest for several nights in a row, just so that she'd be the first person who'd get to walk through those garden doors. And she was the first person, too. She took and swallowed the crystal because she is capable, and has been training for this. She then managed to escape both an archangel and a demon leader at the same time, because she is capable and because she has been training for this. Even now she manages to keep calm and plan her escape, while being kidnapped. She's the perfect finder. None of this is coincidental.

"Evangeline, tell her it wasn't just luck."

The fairy decides to recruit Evangeline for help, knowing that angels don't lie even if they want to tease someone, so Eva should be able to tell the truth. The archangel is fixing them a softer place to sleep for the night, gathering leaves and putting down her blue armour coat to make it look a little more presentable. She perks up once mentioned, but then goes back to what she was doing, not even looking at Chepi while she answers her. "Please don't address me without the proper title. And the demon is right, it was luck."