54. For love

💧

Standing in the dark room, a sword in her hand and a completely still look on her face, the archangel Evangeline stares over her previous friends and allies. She thought that she'd feel some sort of anger at seeing them, but honestly all she can feel is indifference. 

It makes her realise a crucial part of her that she never understood before. She's always felt indifferent towards angels. Whether she killed for them, worked for them or led them, she's always felt indifferent. Standing opposite of them, she feels no different from before.

In a way, it's a relief. Now she doesn't have to suppress any kind of emotion. In fact, she can see them as mere targets, standing in the way of what truly matters. Chepi. And, that they were trying to take Chepi. That's all that matters, and that's what she is going to kill them for.

Evangeline has never had any morality. She's like an animal, ironically. It's ironic because others often see her as the picture of discipline, diligence and grace. But in reality she simply showed such an image because she served such people. All she really cares about is her purpose, and so her morality fits with her purpose. Now her purpose is Chepi, and Evangeline is the type to give 100 percent to her purpose.

The moment they heard Nayan say that Chepi wasn't with him, and that she had left to find the next keeper of the crystal, Evangeline already knew what she had to do. She loves Anemone just as much as she loves Chepi, but unlike Chepi Anemone can take care of herself right now, and Anemone isn't in danger. Forgetting Anemone and everyone else in that moment, Evangeline rushed away from the scene with the hopes of finding Chepi before someone else would.

Evangeline is an angel. She knows how much the angels want Chepi, and she knows how often they are one step ahead of everyone else. She knew she could never leave Chepi alone, not even for a second, because the angels would not waste a single opportunity to catch her.

Anemone, almost as if living inside the angel's head, immediately knew what Evangeline was worried about and ran after her. Evangeline didn't even notice the demon was behind her before they reached the tower of the princesses. It was natural that Chepi would go there, because Miriam was the only natural choice left for her, since all her other siblings and friends were in the courtyard. Evangeline and Anemone ran inside together and saw Chepi there, a sword pointed at her and at her older sister, angels flocking to her like animals to water.

Chepi is her morality, and having Chepi has her morality is easy. If Chepi says something, she'll listen. If Chepi is in danger, she'll get rid of that danger. Easy, so easy. It's much easier than having the angel cause and its many rules and disciplines as her morality. Chepi is freeing, in a way, and so Evangeline will kill 'her own' if it means to protect her. Especially when 'her own' stand on the wrong side of history.

"Evangeline?"

The archangel was still surprised to see Pacome as the leader of the angel attack, standing off to the side on the balcony. Pacome is a bright angel and has a lot of experience when it comes to the fairy kingdom and foreign relations, but he is not exactly what Evangeline would call a 'fighter'. Xeraphina is that, and she is that, and honestly nearly all other archangels fit that description, but not Pacome.

Still, he stands here, eyes wide with surprise as he utters her name, probably more surprised to see her here than she is to see him. It seems like the angels didn't know Evangeline had joined the side of the middle realm. Probably because it's a side that has just formed.

Evangeline doesn't waste a breath, and keeps her mouth shut. All other angels in the room are frozen, staring at both Evangeline and Anemone, but with a clear emphasis on the archangel Evangeline, who they both respect, fear and don't know how to treat anymore.