35. Two perspectives on travelling

💧

"Princess."

Chepi doesn't know how to approach the bows and the titles, the eyes of respect and the hint of fear. The outreached hands, helping her off her horse. The distance that the guards keep from her, the way they are terrified to even look into her eyes, but treat her as if she were made out of glass, holier than holy, at the same time.

She's been an honourable fairy at best, for the past five years. The title princess, her highness, ma'am. All of those things are of the past. The princess treatment, the slight fear, the awe, the respect. Chepi doesn't think that she has missed it, and now that she's back to being a princess again, she doesn't know how to approach it.

A guard helps her down from her horse, one that she shares with Nayan. It's been so long since she's been around fairies. It feels weird to see so many wings, when she's so used to only ever seeing her own. The fairy accent is more melodious and sweet to the ears. It's the only thing Chepi finds comforting about all of this.

"Thank you." She mumbles politely, knowing that princesses don't thank people for serving them, but not being able to stop herself. The guard nods awkwardly and lets go of her hand as quickly and as politely as he can, scurrying away to join the rest of his group. She sighs, wondering if he would've acted the same if she were just some random fairy, and not a complete political mess. It's been a long day, and the rain that pours down over their necks hasn't helped one bit.

Nayan stretches his arms, looking out over the mountainous horizon. They've travelled for a day already, non stop through the pouring rain and storm. Chepi is tired and wet, and the tear that it has taken on her mentality has broken her completely.

They've passed the border. Although goblin territory is still within sight behind them, Chepi knows that she is already back in her home kingdom. She can't escape anymore, like she promised that she would. Even though she wants to, she can't do it right now. The idea of coming home to a dry place with a bed and food is far too comforting, even for somebody like her. She's used to travelling for months in the wild, but these past few weeks have left her exhausted.

She needs rest. The crystal is taking a toll on her body and on her heart. Nayan was probably right, in that sense. She needs to be away from stress for a while, before it takes her down completely. 

"We're two days away from home, but we won't take any breaks, so it will go faster."

Chepi sighs, glancing over at the guards, making sure that they aren't listening before turning back to him. "I'm tired Nayan." Her voice comes out a little strained.

She's on edge, hating him but appreciating him at the same time. He has a responsibility to his own country, to bring her back home, to keep the crystal within the borders of his future kingdom, to keep her and all his other future subjects away from danger and to keep his own feelings away from the matter. Chepi doesn't like it but she knows that that's what it is.

He probably doesn't want to force her. Who would, right? Who would want to go back to a kingdom ruled by their father? He's a terrible man. Nayan said it himself. He is planning on killing him.

But Chepi doesn't know. She doesn't think Nayan is a killer, he doesn't have it in his heart. She's not allowing them to drag her home because she hopes Nayan will kill their father and take over the kingdom. That's a fools wish. She's allowing them to take her home so that she can rest, gather her energy and do something actually practical about the situation. Stand on her own two feet. Maybe steal something again when she escapes, as another middle finger to her mother, and her father.