Chapter 2

"How's Florida, honey?" my mom asks through the phone, her voice reaching me as I sit in front of the charming little cafe, overlooking the pristine white sand dunes and the clear aqua-colored ocean

"It's nice actually, you know. Nice to be out of New York," I comment, taking a sip of my coffee.

The truth was that New York felt completely suffocating for the last two months. Chloe's sudden breakup had shattered my heart, and for a fleeting moment, I allowed myself to believe that there might have been hope when she asked me to be her date for Sophie's wedding. And then when she told me for the second time she didn't love me, it became painfully clear that I needed to escape. I knew if I stayed I'd end up back in the same position, of me wanting her and her wanting nothing to do with me.

"How's the house holding up? I have the property management company come and check on it occasionally, but you know how they are. Always missing something," she inquires, referring to our family's beach house we've owned for the past four years. It's nestled along the coast of the Florida panhandle in a newer beach community called Anne Rose Beach.

"The house looks great, Mom. Just like the last time I visited," I reply, my gaze shifting from the mesmerizing ocean view back to my laptop, attempting to refocus on work.

"And you're still planning on arriving a few days before your sister's wedding, right?" She asks.

"Yes ma'am. I'll be there two days before the wedding," I respond.

"And Chloe... is she coming to the wedding too?" she asks, her tone expectant.

Shit, I still haven't told her that Chloe and I broke up.

I hesitate, searching for words to shield the truth. "I'm not sure, Mom," I stumble, desperately attempting to conjure up a convincing excuse. "She's been really busy lately, and she has things in New York..."

"You know, we're starting to think this girlfriend of yours is made up. Both of your sisters think so too," she says, her voice filled with doubt.

"Oh, she's definitely not made up, Mom," I assure her, momentarily breaking away from the computer screen. My hand runs through my hair as my gaze drifts towards the street.

At that precise moment, a flash of blonde hair catches my eye, quickly vanishing into the midst of a small crowd.

"You've been together for five months, and I haven't even spoken to her yet. And why isn't she with you in Florida?" she probes, causing me to close my eyes in search of the right words to explain the truth about our breakup.

"It's not that simple, Mom. She has her own life in New York," I respond, a touch of frustration seeping into my voice.

"Listen, Henry, we all know how difficult it was for you after the breakup with Savannah," she persists, unintentionally striking a nerve with the mention of Savannah's name.