Chapter 18

Henry drives us through the back roads of Franklin, Tennessee, and I'm mesmerized by the picturesque scenery that unfolds before my eyes

Henry drives us through the back roads of Franklin, Tennessee, and I'm mesmerized by the picturesque scenery that unfolds before my eyes. The beautiful green hills with classic, cute southern-styled houses with wrap around porches, giving everything a dreamy feeling – like something straight out of The Notebook.

We finally turn onto a private road, bordered by beautiful willow trees, their branches swaying in the gentle breeze. The gate bears the proud name "Calhoun," and we make our way down the driveway. Perched on top of a small hill, sits Henry's parent's house, overlooking acres of rolling hills and lush grass stretching all around it.

"Wow," I exclaim, gazing outside, "did you grow up here?" I turn to him, curious.

"I did," he says, a chuckle escaping his lips.

As I glance back outside the window, I notice a little creek nearby. "Did you go swimming in that little creek over there?" I ask.

"I did," he replies, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Used to sneak out of the window, right there to the left, and meet up with my friends."

The image of young Henry, with his dirty blonde hair and adventurous spirit, swimming in that creek, fills my mind. It's a cute picture, but my thoughts are disrupted when I recall what Anna Claire had said about Henry and Savannah dating in high school, and suddenly I'm trying to shake the image.

"Well, It's beautiful."

As we approach the house, he parks the truck in front, and the engine falls silent. I feel a mix of excitement and nerves bubbling within me.

"You ready?" Henry asks, turning towards me with a smile that puts me at ease.

"Yup," I respond, returning his smile with one of my own, trying to hide the butterflies dancing in my stomach.

He gets out of the truck, shutting the door behind him, and I follow suit. Henry walks to the back of the truck to grab our bags, and in the meantime, I take in the lush, vibrant scenery. It's a symphony of natural sounds— birds chirping, crickets humming, and cicadas singing.

"Let's go in?" Henry suggests, and I turn around to see him standing there with our bags in hand.

"Yeah."

As the door opens I immediately hear a dog barking and only a few seconds later a bloodhound running at me. I bend down and playfully pet him and his floppy ears.

"This is Coop," Henry says, setting our bags to the side and joining me on the ground to pet the dog. "He's a good boy," Henry adds, playfully flapping Coop's ears around.

"Hi, Coop," I say, as he howls at me and then dashes off through the open front door. Henry shuts it behind him, "Is he okay to be outside by himself?"

"Oh, yeah, he'll be fine," Henry replies, waving off any concern. He then places his hand on the small of my back, gently urging me further into the house. I can't help but stiffen at his touch, feeling the intensity of his warm hand seep through my tank top.