Chapter 14

"Chloe, this looks like somewhere you go to get murdered," Sophie remarks, her tone filled with skepticism, as we approach Foghorns

Leah, with a puzzled expression, glances at me and asks, "We got dressed up to go here?"

"You guys are going to love it," I assure them, attempting to instill some excitement. Just then, a loud crack of thunder startles all three of us, followed by a light drizzle that begins to fall as we make our way to the entrance.

"Are you sure about that?" Sophie quips.

I pull open the heavy door to Foghorns, and as Sophie and Leah step inside, they pause at the entrance, clearly taken back by the sight before them. I can see the confusion on their faces, as this country dive bar is a far cry from the trendy and upscale places we usually go to in New York.

"Where are we?" Sophie asks, her expression one of disbelief, her eyes darting around the bar, taking in the colored Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling, the walls covered in dollar bills, and the casually dressed crowd.

"Foghorns," I reply, my gaze sweeping the packed room in search of Henry. The bar is already slammed with people for a Friday night, making it challenging to spot anyone.

Leah's initial shock transforms into a smile as she takes in the atmosphere. "It's cute," she remarks.

"But the floors are sticky," Sophie says, casting a look around the room. "And there are Christmas lights," she adds, craning her neck to gaze at them as we make our way towards the bar.

"Well, who do we have here?" Remi greets us with a warm smile as he stands behind the bar, his eyes shifting between Leah, Sophie, and me.

"Remi, these are my friends, Leah and Sophie," I introduce, gesturing towards them. "Leah, Sophie, this is Remington."

Remi reaches across the bar, extending his hand towards Leah, and they shake, "Hi, nice to meet you, Remington."

Sophie leans in closer to me, her voice lowered as she whispers, "You know him?" Her skepticism evident in her tone as she gives a small wave towards Remi.

I can't help but chuckle softly at Sophie's reaction, nodding in response. "Yes, he's Henry's friend," I confirm.

"Oh, right, okay," Sophie replies. She then looks up at Remi and says, "Nice to meet you, Remington."

"Nice to meet y'all," He says to them as I turn my attention back to scanning the room for Henry. I bit my lips as I scan the crowd but I don't see him.

"He's not here," Remi's voice interrupts my thoughts, prompting me to turn towards him.

"Hmm?" I respond, slightly distracted.

Remi smiles at me as he pours a beer from the tap. "Henry's not here yet," he confirms, his words carrying a hint of amusement.

I shake my head, trying to deny my true intentions. "Oh, I wasn't really looking for him," I murmur.