Chapter 33

"Henry?"

"Henry?"

A voice slices through the hazy thoughts from behind me, causing me to pivot around, and there, I'm greeted by a pair of light hazel eyes and a cascade of brown hair, peering down at me.

"Savannah," I utter, scanning my surroundings and then returning my gaze to her, somewhat surprised. "Hey."

"I didn't realize you were back in town," she remarks with a warm smile.

"Oh yeah," I reply, leaning back slightly in my chair, "I've been here for a few weeks now."

"How are you?"

"Um, doing okay. You?"

Her smile widens a bit. "Good."

She hesitates for a brief moment before speaking again, "Mind if I sit?" She points to the vacant chair across from me. "There aren't any more tables available."

I glance around, confirming her observation. Oh uh, sure, yeah," I reply, quickly rearranging my belongings to create space for her.

As she settles into the seat across from me, a smile plays on her lips. "I didn't think I'd see you here until next month."

"Yeah, I decided to leave Florida a little early," I respond, to which she nods in acknowledgment. "Moved in just down the street actually."

"Oh, no way. We don't live too far from each other, then."

"Is that right? Where do you live?"

"Um, well, just across the street, just over there," she says, gesturing through the coffee shop's window toward the nearby apartments.

"Oh, right. I think I remember you mentioning something like that at the wedding," I recall.

She nods and bites her lip, a slight moment of hesitation in her eyes. "Your sister told me you and your girlfriend broke up," her words carrying a note of caution.

A chuckle escapes me, nerves leading my palms to absently rub against my legs. Discussing Chloe is a topic I'd rather avoid, especially with Savannah. "Yeah, we broke up."

"I'm sorry to hear that," she says, her voice filled with empathy. "You really loved her, didn't you?"

I glance out the window, contemplating her question before looking back at her and letting out a sigh. "Why do you say that?"

"Well," she starts, her voice tinged with a touch of sadness, "you never really looked at me the way you looked at her. I knew from the moment I met her at the wedding I never stood a chance with you anymore."

"Hmm," I hum thoughtfully, "and maybe I never really stood a chance with her either."

"No," she says, shaking her head gently, "Not with the way she was around you. I'm surprised she even broke up with you, to begin with."