Chapter 27

The drive back to Florida passed by quickly, the miles blending together as the scenery changed outside the window

The drive back to Florida passed by quickly, the miles blending together as the scenery changed outside the window. Despite the speed of the journey, an air of nervousness seemed to hang between us. It was as if both of us are tiptoeing around a conversation we both knew needed to happen but aren't quite ready to initiate.

And then there's what Henry said. I was on the verge of responding, ready to lay my feelings out, when he interjected, stopping me in my speaking. He put it out there, and then he sort of took it back, leaving me a little confused. I don't know if it was just something he said in the heat of the moment and he didn't mean it, or if he genuinely meant it. So yes, I'm anxious now. I haven't stopped thinking about it the whole drive, and now that we're back in Florida.

As we pull up to Anne Rose Beach and approach our houses, Henry kills the engine, and we step out of the truck. Henry heads to the back, retrieving our suitcases from the bed and setting them down on the ground. In the space between our neighboring houses, I look back and forth, my attention finally settling on Henry, who's watching me closely.

Turning to him, I muster a smile. "I guess I'll see you in a little bit?"

He nods, his brown eyes locked onto mine. "Yeah, okay."

He takes a step towards me, closing the distance between us. His lips find mine in a sweet, lingering kiss. His arms encircle my waist, pulling me in, and I respond eagerly, my fingers clutching at the fabric of his shirt as if trying to anchor myself in this moment. Eventually, he breaks the kiss, but the closeness remains.

He clears his throat, his fingers gently brushing my cheek. "Foghorns around eight?" he asks, his voice a soft murmur.

"Yeah, that works," I reply, a warmth spreading through me.

He leans in again, his lips capturing mine once more. This time, it's a deeper kiss, a hint of urgency in the way our mouths move together. I wrap my arms around his neck, lost in the sensation of his touch. As the kiss ebbs, he doesn't pull away far, his forehead resting against mine.

"Or maybe you could just come inside," I murmur.

His eyes light up with eagerness. "Yeah, I like that idea better."

"Okay, good. Me too," I reply, a smile curling my lips. He quickly grabs our suitcases, and we make our way to the front door of my house.

As soon as the door opens and shuts, his lips are on mine again. His hands explore the curves of my back down to my ass as he slowly guides me backward until the firmness of the entry table meets my backside. The piece of furniture rattles slightly from the impact as he lifts me onto its surface, parting my legs to position himself between them.

"What are we doing?" I ask, my mind still caught on his earlier words, even as his fingers trace the edge of my shirt. He moves swiftly as he peels it away along with my bra, throwing them behind him to the floor. At the same time, I unfasten his belt and unzip his jeans.