Chapter 24

"Can I get an old-fashioned and a martini with a twist, please?" I say to the bartender, and he nods in acknowledgment

As I wait for our drinks, I turn back around to find Chloe standing right where I left her. She's absolutely stunning, dressed in that cobalt blue silky dress that brings out her piercing blue eyes, and with that slit that extends all the way up to her right thigh. Her blonde hair cascades in perfectly wavy curls. I try not to stare, but it's hard to resist when she looks so fucking breathtakingly beautiful.

The way she smiles, the way she moves, the way she kissed me – it's like something shifted between us today. She's looking at me with that familiar spark, and her touch feels just as it used to.

"Henry," I hear from the side, breaking me out of my thoughts. As I turn, I find Savannah standing there, her light hazel eyes looking right up at me.

"Savannah."

"Hi," she says, her smile soft and familiar as she tucks a strand of her brown hair behind her ear, "I was hoping I'd get a chance to see you. How are you?" Her voice holds a hint of nervousness, like she's not entirely sure how I'll react.

The last time I saw Savannah was just over a year and a half ago when she told me that she wanted to break up after years of being together. She had expressed uncertainty about our relationship and said that she needed time to figure things out, to decide if being together was truly what she wanted. It wasn't even two weeks later when I heard from a friend that Savannah was already in a relationship with someone else. The impression that I, along with everyone else, got was that she had left me to date him.

"Uh, hi," I say, trying to find my footing as the bartender hands me my old fashioned and sets down Chloe's martini. I take a quick sip of my drink, trying to gather my thoughts.

"Can I get you something?" The bartender asks Savannah.

"I'll have a tequila soda," she responds quickly to the bartender and then returns her attention to me.

"I didn't realize you were going to be here," I remark.

"Oh, well, your sister invited me a few months back," she explains and then pauses for a moment, "I came with Megan and Charlotte," she adds, pointing over to them across the way. I glance over, catching Savannah's friends smirking and giggling at the two of us. I offer them a small smile and a wave before returning my attention to Savannah.

"You look like you're doing well," she says, smiling at me as she studies my face, "I like the new haircut," she adds, reaching out to touch the tips of my hair but hesitating just before making contact, as she bites her lip and then smiles up at me.

"Oh, yeah, thanks. I've let it grow a bit longer on top," I reply, running a hand through my hair. It's a subtle change, but Chloe always seems to like it this way. "And how are you?" I ask, being polite.