Chapter 15

"Hey, I'm going to go get a drink at the bar," I shout over the pulsating music, catching Sophie's attention

"Hey, I'm going to go get a drink at the bar," I shout over the pulsating music, catching Sophie's attention. She nods in acknowledgment and then returns to dancing with Leah, fully engrossed in the rhythm.

As I weave my way through the crowd, I keep my eyes peeled for Henry, hoping to spot him somewhere amidst the dancing and laughter. However, he seems to have vanished since Leah and Sophie whisked me away to the dance with them.

Finally reaching the bar, I lean against the counter to catch Remi's attention. "Remi, can I get another martini, please?" I request, raising my voice slightly to be heard over the music and chatter.

"Sure thing," he replies with a smile and starts preparing my drink. As I wait, I turn my attention to the stool next to me, where Anna Claire is sitting.

"You should come dance with us," I suggest to Anna Claire, briefly looking at the crowd of people and scanning the room again in search of Henry.

Her smile brightens as she responds, "Oh no, I'm more of a line-dancing kind of girl."

"Well, we'll definitely have to go line dancing together then sometime," I say, returning her smile with a grin of my own. Then, with a hint of concern, I ask, "Hey, do you happen to know where Henry went? I can't seem to find him anywhere."

Her head snaps in my direction, studying my expressions with a hint of hesitation before her face takes on an apologetic look. "Oh, he didn't tell you he was leaving?"

"He left?" I blurt out, disbelief coloring my voice.

"I think he went home," Anna Claire says, adding to my confusion.

"But he literally just got here," I interject with frustration. Anna Claire simply shrugs, unable to offer any further explanation.

Confusion grips me as I look around the bar, trying to comprehend why Henry would abruptly leave. He seemed fine when we were dancing—more than fine, actually. I could quite literally feel how hard he was when he was dancing against me.

Refocusing on Anna Claire, I ask urgently, "When did he leave? It couldn't have been long ago, right?"

"About five minutes, I think," Anna Claire responds, glancing down at her phone briefly for the time. My heart pounds in my chest as I spot Sophie and Leah making their way back from the dance floor. My eyes then dart toward the exit.

"I'll be right back. Can you let Sophie and Leah know?" I request, my voice filled with urgency. Without waiting for an answer I stride towards the door.

Stepping outside, the muggy evening air wraps around me, clinging to my skin and the fabric of my dress, as I head towards Anne Rose Beach. Halfway there, the realization dawns upon me—catching up with Henry seems nearly impossible. Determined, I slip off my cowboy boots, freeing my feet to move swiftly, and I quicken my pace.