Chapter 5: Confrontation

"...What?" Dick questioned, shocked by this fact. The trio looked at Harry in confusion all the while, Harry continued eating his food like nothing happened.

Harry nodded his head, "Yep. Found Spider-Man all beaten and bruised up sitting my father down on my couch... dead. Second I saw him, he jumped out the window without any explanation." he explained. As Dick and Wally felt bad for Harry and looked at him, Megan noticed the looks of MJ's and Peter's faces. Peter looked too ashamed to even look in the direction of Harry as MJ had the exact same look. It seemed like MJ even knew about Peter's little secret...

Wally suddenly blurted out, "Well how do you know he did it-?" 

"Because I know!" Harry yelled out at him. Wally really needed to keep his mouth shut. Dick sighed as he rubbed his forehead, both embarrassed and annoyed by his friend. Peter put his hand on Harry's shoulder, "It's okay, man. Calm down." he advised.

Dick and Megan glared over at Wally, who was confused by what he said wrong. Megan decided to make up for it, "I'm sorry for what Wally said... He-"

"No, no, it's fine. I-... I need to get over it." Harry replied before he took a deep breath. "Anyways, let's change the subject!" he exclaimed. He pointed to the 3 of them, "What is your guys' story? You're clearly new to town." he said as he clamped his hands together on the table.

Megan and Wally immediately froze. They didn't have have a clue on what to tell them. Megan doesn't have any experience in that arena and Wally wasn't exactly the best at lying. While the 2 were stumbling upon their words, trying to figure out what to say, Dick looked at them with amusement. He interrupted them, "I'm here temporarily under the Wayne Organization. They chose only one kid to look at other higher up schools for an opportunity to join them and I won. Wally, here, is staying in town temporarily due to some housing problems. And Megan is also staying here temporarily because of her uncle's job."

Wally and Megan stared at him with shock, while Dick acted as if it was nothing. Batman taught him how to have cover-up stories. He's basically an expert in this arena. Harry nodded his head, impressed by how he managed to speak for all of them, "Nice... for a cover-up." MJ replied. Dick's eyes widened.

MJ rolled her eyes and chuckled, "I'm heading into journalism. You think I WON'T know how to spot out a lie?" she asked them.

"You honestly can't lie around me. I can spot them out as if they were sitting right next to me." Harry added as he crossed his arms smugly. MJ chuckled and Peter took in a deep breath of anxiety, obviously for different reasons that Harry thought they were. Dick was about to defend themselves, but Peter quickly stopped them, "It's fine. We don't need to know. You're obviously here temporarily, so enjoy it while you can." he said, before taking another bite of his food. Wally, Dick, and Megan looked at each other, all of them having the same idea about Peter. Dick cocked his head towards Peter, basically telling her to read his mind and see if he was, in fact, Spider-Man.

Megan sighed. She didn't want to do this, but unlike Harry for the most part, Dick could spot a lie. Megan closed her eyes and looked into Peter's mind. 

Peter walking up the stairs to his bedroom sickly.

Spider-Man being thrown through walls from a man in a green suit and a... goblin mask?

Spider-Man fighting against a large-lizard creature in the hallway of the school. That explained the claw marks.

And  something that especially caught her attention, Spider-Man with his mask off, talking to a dying Captain Stacy, "You're gonna make enemies. People will get hurt. Sometimes the people closest to you. So I want you to promise me something, okay?" Peter nodded, "Leave... Gwen... out of it. Promise me that. You promise me."