𝟎𝟏𝟏. 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘

011. BIRTHDAY

——

JULY 5TH 1984

▌ A YOUNG REDHEADED GIRL STOOD AT THE ENTRANCE THE MARSH'S APARTMENT. She waved goodbye to a curly black-haired boy with bug-eyed glasses and a young brunette boy.

"Bye Billy, bye rich" She whispered, trying to not disturb what was behind the door.

"Bye, bails!" The two boys waved.

Young Bailey walked through the door, she slipped her worn-out vans and made her way through the hallway.

As she made her way to her bedroom, she noticed it was more quiet than usual. Her eyes gathered through into the living room and then noticed the day. July 5th.

Her dad sat at the living room table as his hand rested on his forehead. A picture of her mother lay in front of him.

"It's her birthday today." He whispered.

The redhead's eyes widened, not knowing her father had known she was there standing at the doorframe.

He rubbed a cloth on his face. Used to be her mothers.

"I can still smell her perfume," he whispered. "And she'd still be alive if it wasn't for you."

Those words. Those words were repeated several times ever since her suicide, and yet, it still stung every time for eight-year-old Bailey.

She wiped the tears that formed on her face and whispered, trying not to break down in tears, "Mummy was sick, that's why she did what she did."

A silence passed through.

"SHE DID WHAT SHE DID BECAUSE SHE WAS EMBARRASSED OF BEING YOUR MOTHER." He yelled, swiftly turning behind to look at her.

This sudden move forced Bailey to slightly jump back, trying her best not to show any reaction.

"You look like her. But you, are nothing like her."

Her hand reached to her face to wipe another fallen tear, as her eyes began to turn red and her chin trembling. This is when she noticed who sat beside her father. Beverly.

She sat there, not batting an eye at her crying sister. She gave the same look her father was giving. It was obvious to Bailey she was the problem, At least that's what she thought. She also thought maybe it was better if there was no her at all.

"Come here."

Bailey didn't move.

"I SAID COME HERE" He quickly yelled. Bailey slowly walked towards him, her eyes full of tears as she couldn't hold in these emotions anymore. She stood in front of her sitting father. He looked up at her. Then lifted his arm and slapped her right across the face, leaving a red handprint on the young girl's cheek.   

She no longer could hold all the emotions but didn't want to let them out right in front of him.

Was nothing was said again, she ran out. She ran out to the bathroom, closed the door and ran to go sit on the floor near the bathtub.