sixteen

I turned around to see Camila with a smile on her face. "This doesn't look like the bathroom."

"I-um. I got distracted."

Camila tip toed closer to grab the handle of the door and shut it, "We don't come in here too often."

Her hand was placed on my back guiding me out, "Who's room is that?" I asked curious as to why someone would need a computer with three screens.

Camila licked her lips, "Lauren and Dinah share that room. You know them. They love their computer games."

"But three screens?" She wasn't telling me something.

"It's none of my business what they're doing, babe. Just come back to the house. We're all going out to eat." She softly pointed out as she helped balance me down the stairs to start walking out the front door.

"No." I responded roughly. "Im not gonna go out and be ignored in public too." I looked down at my pace of steps, "I don't even know what I'm doing here."

Camila stopped me, "Hey!" Her finger nudged my chin up so we could lock eyes when she got in front of me, "You're here because I want you here. And I want you to go out to eat with us."

"Camila," I said to her, "Who do your parents think I am to you?"

She stopped for a second, "Well, they-they think-"

"-I'm a friend. Nothing more." I finished her sentence.

"Baby, this isn't the most normal thing to tell them."

I was curious, "And Lauren?"

She sighed out, "A friend."

I shook my head and tried to push passed her but she stopped me, "Please understand. We'll tell them one day. Now just isn't a good time."

"When will be a good time? When we're broken up and you're reflecting on your past 10 years later. 'Oh yeah, Mom and Dad, by the way, Lauren and I were dating this one girl at the same time.'"

Lauren opened the door with a smile, "Are you two coming?"

"I think I should stay home." I told her.

Lauren looked back and closed the door to walk out to where Camila and I were standing. "Babe, c'mon. You can actually leave this house now that there's no hospital holding you back."

"I just wanna rest, Lo. I'm tired and I don't feel good."

Lauren frowned and nodded to
Camila, "Fine. We'll be back later. You want help up to the room?"

I nodded, "My work room will do fine for now."

--

They left me for dinner. Lauren said that they'd only
be gone for a few hours which was all I needed.

I sat up on the futon and used my abilities to take the papers out of my pocket.

I shuffled through to find the one page I didn't get to read. It was stamped at the top 'Evidence'.

The page was handwritten. The chicken scratch writing of my mother.

"Dear Y/N,

I'm sorry I have to tell you this but there's a lot happening. I can't explain all of it now. Only because I don't want you to worry while you're not old enough to understand. Being a 17 year old does not certify you to
understand these issues.

I'm sick. Sicker than I was before. I have cancer and it has spread. We don't have the money to take care of it so I'm letting it take over my body for the moment. I'm sorry I never told you but I didn't want to worry you. I love you so much and I see how happy you are finally being able to live your teenage life with those girls.

I know you'll be happy with them. In fact, you're not fooling me. I know you're romantically involved with them both. I knew ever since that once day that you came in the car with hickeys up and down your neck. I don't fully understand this relationship but it is what it is. Just treat those girls right.

The thing I need to tell you is to stay safe. There's so much more evil in this world than you can ever understand. I've seen this evil head on and I know what's possible. Please don't make dumb choices, for the love of God.

I can't stay and write this for very long. There's someone I've been on the run from since you've left to tour with those sweet girls and he's close. I love you and I hope you know that I did what was best for you. I tried to raise you right.

Keep your nose clean and out of trouble. I love you, baby doll.

Your Mother, Diana."

The penmanship was messy but the signature was just as flawless as I remembered it to be.

She must have been on the run from my Dad. I only pray that he won't find me. If he's killed two women on his quest to me, I don't wanna know what he'll do to me when I'm in front of him.

I got up to put the papers in my pocket and did what I could to shuffle through all of my old things in the desk drawer. That's when I found a credit card lying at the bottom of the drawer. It had my name on it.

I grabbed the card and looked at it. Brand new. Probably never been used.

I put it in my pocket and decided that I need to leave. All in a flash. The thought popped into my head.

First of all, if my father is trying to find me, its only
a matter of time now. I'm sure my wreck was written down somewhere for the public to see. Then there's the fact that I don't want the girls to get hurt because of me. I do really care about these girls. If one of them died
protecting me, I cannot live
with myself.

Second of all, I don't want to be a secret to their family. Sure, I'm fine with being a secret to the world. I don't want people in my business, but I feel like I deserve some respect in a place I'm living.

I did my best going down the stairs and headed to the front door.

The slight Cali breeze hit my face softly when I exited the mansion. It felt nice.

I began walking, arms latched to my side as always. I walked and walked and walked until I came across a bus stop. The sign for stopping times said 'every 30 minutes'. Last time I checked the time from the house it said 8:13. I'm sure it'll be 8:30 at any time now.

And I was right. The guy at the bus stop required cash and luckily, whoever wore these shorts last, forgot to take their money out. I had $5 exactly.

The guy could tell I had a disability and tried to pretend like he didn't notice but he did.

The next stop we went by was close by a hotel.

I can rest there for the night. I have a card so I'm sure I'll be able to get a room.

I hobbled off of the bus to make my way to the hotel across the street.

--

a/n:

hell was nice just in case y'all were wondering. I got a lot of Our Little Forever wrote ;) -agf