Under threat

The ragged human girl glared at the dark figure. Scars running along her naked body, a fresh red scar from her shoulder to her torso. The figure held a large tool, smiling darkly at the girl. His body seemed to fade into the shadows, the only sign of him was the whites of his eyes and teeth.

"I think I have the perfect task you can do for your freedom. Next time you won't steal from me human" he explained lightly. She was panting, chains holding her tightly against the walls, her piss and shit coated the floor. He eyed the scene, content with it.

"What... Why should I trust you'll give me freedom" she spat, he reached forward, she flinched before screaming.

Her scream echoed down the dark and humid area, deep out of the cave. Her screams subsided after 10 minutes, a burn covering her left upper arm. He watched her breath heavily.

"Because you have no other choice. I have left your hands, face, lower legs and lower arms alone, if they see these beautiful scars, they'll be suspicious. Your freedom will be given as soon as you lead Flint's team into a trap, they've been looking for a very special treasure and little do they know, I've already found it. You will lead them there" he explained, she glared at him as he breathed heavily.

"Who says I won't run as soon as I'm given the chance" she spat, he held a strange thing in his hands. She stared at it. He placed it over her wrist and she screamed, blood leaking down, onto the floor.

"This bracelet, will poison you as soon as it's removed, and if you don't meet up with me, every three days, It will drain into your blood, because every three days I will be resetting the band that acts as a timer. I should get you cleaned up though, and some clothes. You will be busy" he chuckled, she looked to him, her fate sealed.

~~~===~~~~~~====~~~~~~~===~~~~~

I stood, hunched in a field, the aches in my body annoying, but the feel of the sun again after so long was amazing, warm and pleasant, like an old friend greeting me after a long time.

I took a deep breath and eyed the map. The map specifically using the human written language, so that none of Flint's team could read it.

I know what I have to do, the bracelet hurting against my throbbing wrist. Ignoring it, I moved to a beautiful stream, crouching down, pain tearing along my back from the scars.

I used my hands to lift water to my mouth, enjoying the sensation of cold fresh water, not the lukewarm, horrid tasting shit he had been forcing down my throat.

It's been a while since I've worn clothes, he preferred me hanging naked, so he could admire the scars.

I wore a green shirt, tucked into some brown pants with a belt to keep them up, I'm to skinny, the pants will slip off my hips without the belt.

I staggered to my feet, groaning. He said they would be heading north, their camp should be close to the water.

I staggered forth, examining the parchment, rolling it up and looking around. I followed the water and could hear laughter and cheers, I gritted my teeth. I need to pretend to be nice, to be innocent and an easy target.

I unraveled the parchment, scrutinising it as I walked forward, forcing myself to make a lot of noise, even to pretend to trip on a root.

Just someone trying to follow a map, who's careless and is my first time, I can do that.

The laughter went quiet and I crashed out into a clearing, I could see them, clearly, sitting around a fire and watching me. I pretended to not even notice them, glaring at the map.

"This is the right way right? Why does it have to be through such a difficult patch of forest" I mumbled, I sighed and shook my head, turning to eye to the forest, making sure they think I haven't noticed them and am just an idiot.

"Suppose I should rest here, nearly sprained my ankle in there" I muttered, lifting my foot, flinching from the pain of a burn mark on my thigh. I gritted my teeth, my ankle is fine, after all, I only pretended to trip and stumble.

"Where are you heading?" Came a voice right behind me, I already knew he was there, having heard the footsteps while inspecting my ankle. I jumped and turned around, stumbling backwards, plastering a surprised look on my face, which wasn't so hard with the burning running along my body.

"Oh I apologise! Did I intrude? I found this map in an old shed and thought I'd follow it! Are you on a journey to?" I asked, keeping up the innocence. He snatched the parchment from me, I pretended to be scared, gasping and looking up at him.

"That was mean, I was just trying to find a spot to rest" I mumbled, he glanced at me and scrutinised the parchment.

"Written in human. You know, you speak the Juran tongue well for a human" he commented, I plastered a small smile on my face, trying to think quickly on a lie.

"Oh yeah, my dad used to work closely with a large group and they taught me how to speak it when I was a babe" I chuckled. He examined me, shoving the parchment into my hands.

"That treasure looks similar to the one we're looking for, come with me" he stated, I pretended to look hesitant.

"I'm not so sure, I've always been warned about following strangers without thinking, they say it's dangerous" I stammered, hoping he won't accept it.

"No, I think you're what we've been needing, a guide! You have to come" he stated, I flinched as he grabbed my wrist and led me forwards, I took a deep breath and followed, keeping my focus, examining each different face and every possible weapon or food.

I hope they think I'm just scared and looking around fearfully, that seems promising, I hope.

I glanced at the parchment, it detailed each rendezvous point I'm to meet up with the cave stalker.

I was pulled up to a car and he tied a rope to my wrist, I frowned, trying to force myself to cry, slowly realising I couldn't, so long of being tortured had made me unable to cry.

"Don't look so startled, I'll let you go off once we're done, but we need you to guide us there" he explained, since I can't cry, I'll have to try a different way to show some hurt at being tied to the cart, at least he seems to think my shock at my not being able to cry was at being tied up.

"Are you going to hurt me?" I whimpered, making my lip tremble, he examined me.

"Of course not, we just need you to guide us there" he stated. I looked to my feet, hiding the smallest of smiles. Ok I've got him fooled, now I just need to get them to where the treasure is. Which is where the trap is set up. I held the parchment, before glancing at someone cooking meat over a fire, three of them. One lady, who looked smart, firey red eyes and quick feet, a valley flame, also known as a flamer.

The one cooking is a water one, their hair watery wisps, their eyes blue, with green tinges. Water ghost, or as they call themselves, tidals. The one that tied me up had a smug look on his face, walking up to the tidal.

The one that tied me up, must be Flint. He seemed to be bulky, with horns, a demon child we call them, though, they call themselves Greys.

I watched the food be cooked. All I've eaten is bitter and disgusting slop, and the occasional bug.

The meat seemed succulent and fresh, it's been so long since I've last eaten good, proper food, my weak body relieved as I forced myself to sit down, being tied up for so long, I'd forgotten what it's like to sit.

I rested my head against the cart, enjoying the sunlight. The cool breeze that enveloped me softly. The way the grass tickled against my ankles.

I forgot how beautiful this all was...

When I'm free, I will never take it all for granted again.

He said it would take us 9 days to get to the treasure. If I'm able to find an antidote, I can ditch everyone and leave early, though I know the name of the poison, I have no idea what heals it.

I examined the unsuspecting, stiff bracelet, the area slightly swollen and bruised under it. I hope he will keep to his word, I have no other choice but to trust him...