Good and evil

I remember when I was a little kid, I believed the world was pretty black and white, that bad people were always bad and good people were always good. Bad people were mean and good people were nice. I always wanted to be a good person, surrounded by good people. Whenever people called me a 'good girl' I'd smile brightly, when someone said I was 'kind and well behaved' I giggled for joy. My mother was big on teaching me to treat people with kindness and to always be well behaved and polite.

When I turned 14, our town was attacked, mumma was taken and killed, papa was shot on the spot, all while good little me cried and begged the people to stop. Instead of killing me, they took me away, forcing me to be basically a slave, I always did as I was told, because I was taught to. They took down a few more towns, little me going along, being hit, kicked, punched or even thrown to the ground. They did pick up more kids to force to work, some kids tried to fight, others tried to run away, they always got hurt. One boy was special, he was quiet and plotting, preparing a big plan to tear everything down.

"We're going to trap them" he told me one day. I wasn't going to tell his plan, he knew noone would expect me to do anything, so I was the one he asked to sneak him things. Obviously I helped, I want to do good things and these people are very bad what they're doing to us, so of course, as a good person I'll help him.

I snuck him everything he asked for, all while obediently following orders, noone suspected me because I was so obedient and polite. So I suppose finding out this one boy was responsible for trapping the group was a shock... After 4 years under their fist everyone was suddenly free. The boy's plan had worked, trapping the people, tying them up and leaving them for dead or for them to be found by someone. The kids running free, racing off to get help.

The boy's name is Darron, he is a hero and a dangerous enemy of any person in charge, whether government, king, queen, emperor or even duke. I think he can't forgive them, for the fact they didn't do more to save us.

Darron is my friend, we travel together, yet he is also my bully and worst nightmare.

I watched him sitting confidently on the cushioned couch seat, his feet on the table, drinking a fizzing drink. I sat calmly opposite him, drinking my water. Our food being brought out, the server a pretty woman, she seemed disgusted by his heavy boots dusting dirt onto the table. She placed down my steak and vegetables, then gave him his pork loin with salad. I smiled at her and she smiled back at me, her eyes a soft blue. I looked around to the wooden, loud pub. People chatting excitedly and laughter filling the room. It's chaotic, the energy far nicer then what I had to deal with for four years.

Darron moved his legs down, his knife scraping his plate, I slowly ate, watching him. He wore stolen clothes, a leather jacket with sheep wool on the inside, a cotton grey shirt and black rugged pants. I can't judge him though, my clothes are also stolen, he grabbed them while he was stealing his own clothes. I used to wear that rotten pink dress while I was basically enslaved. I like this new outfit, the pants similar to jodhpurs, with leather patches and not as skin tight. The shirt a soft yellowish-beige colour, with a pretty bird design. The blue jacket a chequered one with a grey hoody attached. Getting to wear firm, protective riding boots, instead of being barefoot. The back of my heels getting blisters.

The steak was cooked decently, not the best one I've had, but pretty standard for a pub this large. Darron stood, slamming his drink down, he shoved some coins onto the table, walking off, probably to our room, we can't afford more then one, so I have to sleep on the couch. The others that were enslaved were off to find new lives, the only ones to hang around us, were three, two girls, twins and a boy. The boy is dating Cleo, one of the twins, so they used their own coins to get a private room. Pam had to get her own, though she gets money selling her sewing, she will patch up anyone's clothes, so lots of people are happy to meet a traveling tailor.