Safe Haven

Icy grass crunched beneath my boots, my breath misty and easily visible as the sun rose.

I'm nearly there. Keep going.

It felt like my short black hair was frozen to my head, the cold air stinging my lungs.

I coughed into my arm and stumbled up to his doorstep, tired and cold.

My hand thumped loudly, I flinched at the sound and impact. I could hear scrambling footsteps and the definite sound of pants being zipped.

How the hell is he still awake at this time?

"Jimmy! Someone's at your door!" Shouted a loud voice, a half dressed man opened the door. His eyes widened at me.

"Oh my, sugar darling you get inside. Are you Jimmy's friend?" Asked the man. His voice was filled with worry, he ushered me in and helped remove my backpack from my back.

I stumbled onto an armchair and let out shuddering breaths. My chest ached, I wasn't sure if it was from the bruising or from the cold air.

"Aiden! I swear if you just invited a homeless..... Jule! You ok? You look fucking awful" exclaimed Jimmy, losing all sense of dignity as he was still struggling to pull on a pair of boxers.

"Man, that was a mood shift" I half heartedly commented, he didn't much care for my failing attempt at humour. Instead he stumbled over to me and crouched in front of the couch.

"Jule. What the fuck happened?!" Demanded Jimmy, I fell quiet choosing instead to stare at some stitching on the couch.

"Fine. Tell me when you feel ready. I know how stubborn you are" grumbled Jimmy. Still he didn't move, his brown eyes examining me.

Never did I feel more vulnerable and weary in front of my best friend.

"You're awake early" I mumbled quietly, he sighed and stood up. Moving a series of objects off the couch opposite to me.

It only took me a moment to realise what the objects were. My face reddened and I glanced at Aiden, he had his arms crossed in a concerned way, with bright hazel eyes watching Jimmy.

I examined him, every freckle, every spot. The way his hairy chest seemed due for a shave and his face though was clean shaven. I would think he'd put effort on his full body and not just his face.

"Sorry about all these toys, Aiden really likes challenging himself.... Wait sorry, you don't need to hear this Jule" Jimmy explained, his voice fading off.

"No, it's ok. I know you're... Into that stuff" I mumbled tiredly, my head rested against the leather couch.

"Do you want breakfast? Or will you sleep? Jule, I can send them home if you're uncomfortable" he offered, I shook my head, sure food sounded great, but my gut clenched at the thought of eating.

"Them?" I asked curiously, choosing to distract my muddled mind with his odd life.

"Oh yea. Mandy is still in my room, she'll be down in a second-" began Jimmy, carefully placing each 'toy' into a special bag.

"If she can still move" whispered Aiden, a cheeky smirk on his face as he briefly interrupted Jimmy.

"Shut up Aiden" added Jimmy, his voice was harsh but the small smile told me that he was quite impressed with himself.

"She'll be down in a second to have breakfast. We had a... Big night" muttered Jimmy. I blushed at that and let out an embarrassed laugh.

The air was warm and definitely had that sweaty smell to it, I really hope it doesn't linger on me. Does the sweaty smell of sex linger? I never thought of that.