Octonauts and the Tassled Wobbegong

The Octopod was sitting on the seafloor in the Gulf of Carpentaria and business was as usual. Captain Barnacles was in the HQ surveying the monitors.

"Dashi," he called, "let's check up on Shellington and Peso's progress with the creature survey."

"Aye-aye captain," she said and pressed a button on one of the control panels. Soon Shelington's face appeared on one of the screens above.

"Shelington, do you read me?" Captain Barnacles asked

"I hear you loud and clear captain," Shelington replied.

"How's the creature survey going?"

"It's all going well, I've been cataloguing all of the different creatures and Peso has been giving them a quick checkup and a sticker for their time. I've been wanting to see some sharks but sadly, none yet."

The two octonauts had set up their base of operations in a coral reef and there was a long queue of various sea creatures lined up waiting for their turn to see them. Shelington and Peso had been slowly surveying the health of the ecosystem in the gulf. Shelington had a table in his notebook with all of the different creatures of his book and peso had a clipboard summarising the health of each animal

"And what creature might you be?" Shelington asked the creature at the front of the queue.

"Oh, I'm just a cuttlefish," it said.

Shelington placed a tally mark in the cuttlefish box and the cephalopod swam over to Peso.

"Hello there," Peso said ," have you been feeling well?"

"Oh yes, I feel just fine." the cuttle fish replied.

"Ok, this won't hurt a bit," Peso said ,"now said aaaaaaaa"

"Aaaaaa" the fish said, opening its mouth. Peso inserted the tongue depressor into its beaked jaw. Peso inspected the fish's mouth and then pulled out the tongue depressor.

"You're all, good," the medic announced, "here's a sticker for being so brave."

Peso plonked a sticker on the side of the cuttle fish but the sticker didn't stick properly and began to sink down through the ocean.

"Oh no!" the cuttlefish exclaimed " I'll get it."

The Cuttle fish swam its way down after the sticker. The sticker continued to drift downwards, slowly falling towards a patch of sand, just next to an overhang of coral. The sticker was close to the bottom now and the cuttlefish was about to catch it when it was an eye from the sand looking back up at it .

Suddenly the sand itself seemed to jump up at the cuttle fish and try to clamp its jaws around it. The cephalopod tried to swim away but it seemed to be getting sucked into the gaping mouth by some sort of current.

"Oh no," the cuttlefish said ,"it's sucking me in!"

But soon the strange current that seemed to be pulling the cuttlefish in stopped and it fled.

***

"... And then a strange creature, that seemed to be part of the sand, tried to eat me. It tried to suck me into its mouth but luckily i got away, oh it was really scary."

A handful of the octonauts were in the HQ gathered around the cuttlefish that was in a fish bowl.

"Shelington?" Barnacles asked, "Do you have any idea what this creature might be?"

"As of now, no," Shelington said ,"there's just not enough information but it seems like some sort of ambush predator."

"Ahh matey," Kwazy said ,"this be no ordinary predator, this creature is none other than the Terrible Sand Beast!"