Octonauts and the Diel Vertical Migration

Captain barnacles was watching from the Gup A as tweak lifted the octo-lab from the surface of the ocean, using the gup H

"Is the movement of the Octo-lab going well Tweak?"

"All going smoothly cap'," she replied ,"by moving the Octo-lab, we will be able to study creatures on the floor of the Atlantic much more easily."

"Need anything else matey?" Kwazi asked.

"Nope,'' Tweak replied ,"I've got it all figured out. I've installed light buoys on the surface of the ocean so i can see what i'm doing during the lowering proses, i've got Shellington and the professor checking out the area around where we're lowering the lab, to check for any unstable land or to clean up debris from the seafloor and i've stocked up on carrots."

Tweak pulled a carrot out of nowhere and took a hearty bite out of it

"Safe travels," the captain yelled as Tweak turned the Gup H and flew west, towards the Atlantic

***

Shellington put on his deep sea diving suit and then pressed a button that retracted the protective dome over the top of the gup D. He and Inkling swam out into the dark ocean and turned back to look at the state of the gup.

"How about I drive next time Shellington?" Inkling offered ,"I feel that your expertise is focussed in other fields, apart from driving."

"Oh, I'm just a bit rusty," Shellington dismissed ,"now let's get to work."

The two turned on their torches and inspected the seafloor that they were commanded to clear of rubble. It was pristinely flat, with silky sand stretching for as far and the torch beam would reach, the only rubble being the gup D.

"This shouldn't take too long," Inkling said ,"we'll just drag the gup out the way and once the lab is down here we can call Tweak to fix it."

The two walked over to the gup D and pulled with all their might, managing to slowly drag the broken sub along the seafloor and out of the way of the Octo-lab landing spot.

"Ok," Shellington said, pulling out a rolled up checklist from his belt ,"now we just have to check the area of water above the landing spot for any other obstructions."

Professor inkling looked around at all of the creatures of the deep, with the flashing lights and their dark bodies that infrequently were visible from the flashlight.

"Shouldn't we warn these creatures that there will be a huge green lab falling from the sky?" Inkling asked.

"We don't need to worry about that," he replied ,"most of the creatures down here will be pushed out of the way by the water displaced by the lab. We only have to look out for any large creatures like a giant squid or a sperm whale who won't be pushed aside."

The two began to swim up to the surface and saw no large obstructions. The sun was low in the sky now and

"This is perfect." Shellington said ,"this will give me a nice window to study some of the fish in the area before the others arrive."

"Haha," Inkling laughed ,"you remind me of me when I was younger. Always itching to do more research. Let's go."

The two dived back into the ocean.

***

Shellington and inkling were scoping out the ocean ecosystem, not looking for anything in particular, just checking for any particularly interesting creatures of phenomena.

"Seen anything professor?" Shelington asked.

"No not yet," answered inkling ,"just hatchetfish, copepods, segmented worms, that sort of thing."