Chapter 8 - The Delicate Accord

As George made his way out of my room, shovel in one hand, broomstick in the other, I snapped out of my initial shock and called his name. "George, wait," I commanded, rising to my feet and regaining my composure. "Or should I say, Percival?"

He turned to face me, a hint of surprise flickering across his features, though he maintained his composure and remained silent.

"It seems you've been hiding quite the secret." I continued, taking calculated steps toward him. "How did this little revelation escape my knowledge for so long?"

"Miss Nero, how did you find out? I worked tirelessly to ensure that secret remained buried," he said, attempting to mask his concern with a composed facade.

"Well, it seems secrets have a way of unveiling themselves, George." I quipped, a smug smile playing on my lips. "I must admit, I find it rather entertaining that you've been living under a false name all these years."

"Miss Nero, I never intended for you to discover that. It is a part of my past that I've moved on from," he replied, trying to maintain an air of nonchalance.

"Is that so?" I tested him, my eyes narrowing with suspicion. "Then perhaps I should go tell that to In-Jae. She doesn't seem to have received the memo, considering she visits you in secret to claim her share of your money. I wonder how Jake and Omari would react to knowing their father has conveniently moved on from them," I added with a pestering smirk, relishing in his discomfort.

"Miss Nero, I understand that you're hurt, but I never meant for it to come to this," he began, his voice tinged with regret.

"Of course, I'm hurt, George. What did you expect?" I interrupted, a touch of vulnerability seeping into my tone, betraying my true emotions. "You were the closest thing I had to family, and now I discover that even you have betrayed me and my trust."

"I am truly sorry. I never intended for you to feel this way," he pleaded, attempting to offer comfort with a gentle pat on my back. But I recoiled, refusing his solace. "Yet, I don't see how this is of any consequence to you." he continued, desperate to rectify the situation.

"Everything is of consequence to me, George," I retorted, my voice laced with determination. "I thrive on knowing people's secrets, and it seems I've hit the jackpot with yours. Having a family of outcasts—"

"I know you're hurt, but I urge you to listen to yourself," he interjected, his voice filled with genuine concern. "I have raised you. I know you like my own daughter, and I know you're better than your father. You wouldn't go after my family."

His words struck a nerve, for he did indeed know me better than anyone, and I hated that he was right. But I could not let him see through my facade, I couldn't allow him that satisfaction.

"Then you don't know me at all," I shot back, masking my vulnerability with a fierce determination. "I will use whatever means necessary to get what I want. And right now, what I want is power over you."

A look of extreme disappointment crossed his face, as if he were a father who had hoped for better from his daughter.

"You should have known that I'm always on your side, Miss Nero," he said, his voice tinged with sadness. "If you ever need anything from me, all you need to do is ask. There was no need to resort to blackmail."

I remained silent, allowing his words to seep into my consciousness. He made another attempt to console me, and this time, I permitted his embrace, seeking solace in his arms.

"Just because I have a family of my own doesn't mean you are no longer my little mistress. I will never abandon you. You will always be a part of my family," he reassured me, pulling away to meet my gaze once more. "Now, Miss Nero, tell me what you require of me."