Chapter 16 - The Lethalene (Part 2)

There, at the entrance to the grand hall, was Andhorra. She had arrived fashionably late, and I couldn't help but feel a surge of annoyance. The success of my evening depended on outsmarting Thomas and Charlie's scheme, and Andhora's tardiness was not helping matters.

"Excuse me for a minute," I declared, making it abundantly clear that this wasn't a mere request but a command. "There's an urgent matter that requires my immediate attention."

Thomas nodded, his unwavering gaze still fixed on me. He seemed to grasp that something important was afoot but refrained from pressing for details as I headed towards Andhorra.

Oh, truly, I didn't waste a second in reprimanding her. "Ugh, Andorra, you're late," I scolded, my frustration thinly veiled beneath an exasperated sigh and a raised eyebrow. "Do you understand how absolutely vital tonight is? Did you manage to find anything? Something remotely good, perhaps?"

As the live music band ceased playing, we both glanced around, realizing that time was running short. The attendees were gathering around the stage, where the crowning of the prom king and queen would soon commence.

"So, are you completely oblivious to the ticking clock? Time is slipping away!" I snapped.

"I did find something, Nero," Andhorra replied, her voice hushed. "They've meddled with the votes. They've substituted the real box with a counterfeit one that contains only Charlie's name."

Her words hit me like a sledgehammer, and my heart raced. This plan had to be thwarted. It was a brewing catastrophe. Not only would it tarnish my reputation, but it would also elevate Charlie's, an outcome I couldn't bear to witness. It would be the ultimate humiliation! Charlie, who had always been a pale imitation of me, a wannabe, would usurp the queen's crown that was rightfully mine. I had prepared for this moment for years. The crown was mine by birthright, mine alone.

It was a double blow meant to break me emotionally.

I had to take action, anything to prevent this travesty from occurring. The stress threatened to engulf me, choking me. I couldn't allow them to win.

My gaze locked onto Thomas, stationed on the far side of the room by the table where the prom king and queen's votes were meant to be collected. He appeared suspicious as he deposited a box on the table. The realization crashed over me like a tidal wave, and a surge of anger coursed through my veins.

Without thinking, I stormed toward him, my steps quick and purposeful, Andhorra trailing behind me. He looked up as we approached. I couldn't believe how stupid I had been to have bought his pretty words, even for a fleeting moment.

"What have you done, Thomas!" I spat out, my voice dripping with venom. "I should have known you were incapable of change. You will forever be the same twisted, cunning, manipulative bastard! No wonder no one has ever loved you! You are not deserving of love! One would need to be sick in the mind to ever love you!"

However, he maintained his silence, offering no reaction, no retort. Instead, a maddeningly satisfied smile graced his lips, reminiscent of a cat that had successfully captured a particularly elusive mouse. It only stoked the flames of my anger. I craved answers, and I needed them immediately. "What have you done with the real votes, Thomas?" I demanded, my tone sharp and unwavering. "Where is the box?"

Still, he maintained his silence, and the satisfaction in his expression grated on my nerves. My fists clenched at my sides, trembling with frustration. "Say something!" I shouted, my anger boiling over. But he remained obstinately quiet, his unyielding smile a thorn in my side.

My rage reached a boiling point, and I took a deliberate step closer to him until our faces were mere inches apart. "Oh, Thomas," I said my voice dripping with contempt. "You must be positively beaming with pride. You may have won your little war," I sneered ""but congratulations, you've lost me." I paused for effect, letting the tension build before adding, "You can keep dreaming about having my love, darling, but that's all it will ever be – a dream."