Chapter 17 - The Syndrome (Part 2)

I positioned myself in his path, attempting to calm him, my hands trembling as I placed them on his shoulders. But his anger raged on, a tempest that couldn't be quelled.

"Please, calm down," I implored. "Lay a finger on Thomas, and you're in for a fate worse than oblivion, darling. We're in my lion's den, after all."

For a fleeting moment, it appeared as if he might relent. His grasp on the knife slackened, doubt flickering in his eyes as he allowed the weapon to fall to the floor.

However, in the next heartbeat, his anger surged once more. His fists clenched at his sides, frustration replacing his rage. "It tears me apart," he growled through gritted teeth, "not being able to kill Thomas for what he did to you, both physically and mentally. Part of me burns with jealousy and pride, but the larger part is driven by a desire to stop the violence he's inflicting upon you."

In the midst of this tumultuous exchange, George had been awakened by the commotion and made his way into the kitchen, ensuring that no other household staff would intrude.

Puzzled, I turned to Aiyden and asked, "What are you talking about? I do have feelings for Thomas, so he's not harming me in any way."
He let out a weary sigh, his shoulders drooping as he gazed at me with a mix of sorrow and unwavering determination. "Nero, it's possible that some of your feelings for Thomas are genuine. There might be authentic emotions there. But you can't disregard the fact that he subjected you to physical and mental abuse for months. What you're going through right now, it's a classic case of Stockholm syndrome. Thomas deserves to face the consequences for breaking you so thoroughly. It is more than time that I step up and do my role as a man and that I protect you."

Tears welled up in my eyes as his words struck home. It was agonizing to confront the harsh truth of what I had endured at Thomas's hands. The scars, both physical and emotional, ran deep, and I had never considered the possibility that my feelings for Thomas were influenced by a syndrome. However, I couldn't be certain that it was the sole explanation.

Finally, Aiyden's body seemed to yield to the torrent of emotions that had engulfed him. He sank to the floor, leaning against the kitchen cabinets, his breaths heavy with exhaustion. I joined him, settling beside him, our shoulders touching, finding solace in the silent companionship we offered each other.

George, remained at a respectful distance, ensuring, by his presence, that no other household staff would intrude to investigate on the commotion we had caused. His presence was like a silent reassurance, a reminder that we were not alone in our struggles.

For a while, Aiyden and I sat in silence, the weight of everything we had just shared hanging in the air. It was as if the storm within us had subsided, leaving behind a profound sense of emptiness.

In that hushed stillness, I could sense the turmoil raging within him, the internal battle to reconcile his love for me with the burning desire for revenge against Thomas. It was a struggle that threatened to tear him apart, and I couldn't help but sympathize with the weight of his emotions.

Breaking the silence I added, "Who's to say you haven't been busy with a few conquests of your own? I mean, according to Jamal, it seems to be an Olympic sport to you."

His cheeks flushed with embarrassment, and he chuckled softly, his eyes meeting mine. But I was dead serious, and I wanted to know the truth. I leaned closer to him, our faces mere inches apart, and said "I demand to know right now who you've been with and how many times. Trust me, I have a burning desire to personally deal with each and every one of them. Oh, and consider this an order. "

His expression shifted, his eyes sincere as he moved even closer, his lips brushing against mine as he whispered, "Nero, from the moment we met for the second time that night in front of my house when you tried to return my wallet, there has been no other woman but you. And there will never be another for the rest of my life."