Chapter 20: The D-day

The day had finally arrived, the culmination of our meticulously planned scheme. Excitement bubbled within me, a cocktail of determination and fear that toyed with the edges of my consciousness. Today marked our departure from Crimson Hollow, bidding farewell to The Clan's oppressive reign and Nicodemo Gambino's suffocating shadow.

I couldn't count the number of times I'd envisioned this moment, and now, at long last, it was upon us! Yet, a flicker of apprehension danced in the corners of my mind—fear that our plan might crumble, that the walls of this dystopian enclave would close in on us before our escape could unfold.

Casting off the weighted sheets, I rose from my bed. Each step to the dining room felt heavier, burdened by the gravity of the day ahead. The butlers had laid out an extravagant breakfast, a customary display of opulence. Its grandeur starkly contrasted with our imminent flight, a reminder of the gaping chasm between the privileged and the denizens trapped in the shadows.

Upon entering the room, I was met with an unexpected sight. There, seated at the dining table, was Thomas. His gaze lifted as I entered, a sinister smirk dancing upon his lips.

He had moved out, no longer residing in my home, yet here he was, uninvited and unsettling. His presence felt like an intrusion, a disruption to the carefully crafted plan I had set in motion to escape this wretched city. His face, a canvas I had studied too many times, was a mix of familiarity and ambiguity. His eyes, usually veiled with secrets, held an intensity that made my skin prickle with unease.

With a gesture, he beckoned me to join him, his smile stretching unnaturally wide, concealing the peril lurking beneath. Despite my reservations, I reluctantly took my seat. Breakfast with Thomas was never a casual affair; it was always a game, a play with dangerous undertones as he liked them so much.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, my tone a mix of surprise and caution.

"Can't a man enjoy breakfast with his soon-to-be wife?" he retorted, appearing unperturbed.

As he poured a cup of coffee for me, he delved into discussions about our shared life, the life he perceived we had crafted together.

"We've come a long way, haven't we? We have got everything we ever dreamed ofIt could have unraveled countless times, and we narrowly escaped losing it all, but in the end, we always emerged triumphant. Don't you agree, darling?"

His words, though superficially pleasant, harboured an ominous undertone.

"We wield unparalleled influence and political power," he continued, "we're affluent, expecting an heir, and surrounded by fiercely loyal friends willing to lay down their lives for your success."

"Get to the point Parker. Time is a luxury, and spending it on you? Not my idea of a good time." I interjected impatiently.

Reclining in his chair, he savoured a sip of his coffee, lost in contemplation. "I was merely reflecting on how everything seems to be falling neatly into place. And I'd truly despise witnessing it all go away..."

His tone shifted, taking on a dark, threatening edge.

"You see, my love," he continued, "there's absolutely nothing I wouldn't do to maintain the status quo and cling to my power." Setting his coffee cup down, he angled his body toward mine, his words carrying a more direct edge. "Fortunately for me, no one possesses the ability to dismantle what we've built except for one individual."

His gaze locked onto mine, awaiting a reaction, but I was too preoccupied dissecting his intentions to conjure a clever retort.

"You", he theatrically added, "you are the only person with enough power to take it all away from me and I simply cannot let that happen."