Chapter 15- The Secrets We Bury

A few days had crawled by since that mind-boggling night, leaving me in a state of both bewilderment and intrigue. I had made up my mind to keep my distance from Thomas, hoping that with a little breathing room, I would see once more the monstrous truth lurking beneath his exterior. But time, it seemed, had other ideas. I found myself tethered to him in ways I couldn't quite fathom.

As I walked through the grand hallways of the imposing mansion, the echoes of our shared secrets reverberated in my mind. His touch, those sinful lips pressed against mine—oh, the tumultuous maelstrom of emotions they stirred, emotions that defied all logic and reason. I sought refuge in mundane tasks, such as orchestrating the preparations for the imminent arrival of the convoy with dear George or languidly strumming the keys of the grand piano. Yet, it was all in vain, for his very presence remained an insurmountable disruption

Then, one fateful evening, I spied him by the grand fireplace, his lithe form bathed in the sensual glow of the dancing flames. Those eyes, those entrancing orbs, locked onto mine with a mischievous spark, as if he revelled in the chaos he'd wrought upon my every thought. His voice, dripping with an insidious charm, sliced through the silence, sending shivers down my spine. Oh, yes, he knew the power he held over me, and he relished it with a wicked delight that made my heart race.

"Is it the fire's heat that tempts you, my love, or something else entirely?" His voice dripped with that familiar, infuriating smugness, his words an artful blend of provocation and challenge.

I arched an eyebrow, maintaining my composed façade even as my heart raced. "Oh, Parker, don't flatter yourself. Your little mind games might ensnare naive girls like our dear Charlie, a category I assure you, I'm light-years beyond."

He leaned in, his breath grazing my ear with a tantalizing closeness only he could master. "Deny it as you please, Nero," he purred, "but let's not kid ourselves. The game is over, my dear. Why not concede that victory has long been mine? Admit it, darling, you're essentially mine." That infuriating half-smirk of his played at the corner of his lips, eager for my reaction.

I scoffed, my tone dripping with condescension. "You wish, I'm not so easily swayed. And as for being 'yours,' well, I'm the one who does the possessing – you obsession with me is as transparent as your provocative attempts at seduction."

My heart raced, a whirlwind of desire and exasperation, a battle that only intensified my piqued curiosity. Supposedly, I was meant to see through his facade, to despise him. After all, I knew his true self. But as he drew nearer, the magnetic pull was undeniable. His fingers brushed against my cheek, setting off a storm of electricity within me.

"You can't suppress it forever, Nero," he whispered, his voice a seductive promise that left me both infuriated and inexplicably intrigued.
My eyes rolled with practiced elegance, a battle waged to mask the tremor his words provoked along my spine. "Oh, darling, we shall most certainly see," I retorted, my lips curving into a self-assured smile, a silent proclamation that our ongoing skirmish was far from its conclusion.

The infuriating truth was, he had a point, which was beyond vexing. The attraction, the pull, it was maddeningly undeniable, despite my best efforts to ignore it. Amidst this tempestuous whirlwind, guilt and confusion held court. How on Earth could I be feeling like this about a man I'd sworn to despise? How could I crave his touch when I should be yearning for Aiyden?

My heart was a battleground, torn between two forces that seemed irreconcilable. On one hand, there was Aiyden – my twin flame, or so I believed. We were meant to be two halves of the same soul, destined to find each other in this twisted city. The concept echoed in my thoughts, a relationship defined by an inexplicable connection, shared experiences, and an almost magnetic pull towards one another. He was my confidant, my haven, and someone who understood me in ways no one else could.