Chapter 17 - The Syndrome (Part 3)

As we rode deeper into the forest, it became clear that Thomas was initially gaining the upper hand in our little game. His shots were precise, and the forest seemed to favour him, guiding him towards his prey.

Jonas and Zachary, despite their best efforts to distract him, were struggling to impede his progress. Their  attempts at distraction were falling short, and I missed most of my shots. It appeared that my plan was failing. It was as if the forest itself conspired to aid him. I watched with a sinking feeling as Thomas marked his targets with an almost supernatural accuracy.

A mixture of frustration and fear quickened my heart. It appeared that Thomas stood on the brink of triumph, a prospect I could ill afford. I needed to find a way to redirect the course of this contest in my favour.

But then, just as despair threatened to consume me, a glimmer of hope appeared on the horizon. I found a way to get into Thomas's head, a path that would lead him away from the hunt and into the labyrinth of his own thoughts.

I leaned in closer to Jonas, my voice hushed and brimming with feigned urgency. "Jonas," I murmured, "I overheard something a few nights ago. Nicodemo was in conversation with Eric's father, contemplating naming him as an heir if the high-ranking officers remain skeptical about Thomas's suitability. I dread the moment I must break this news to him, for I know not how he will react..."

Jonas's eyes widened with surprise, and he shot a quick, knowing glance in Thomas's direction who had begun to falter in his shots, his concentration fractured by our conversation. It was the perfect bait, a lie crafted to play on Thomas's insecurities and fears.

He had always craved power and approval, and the thought of losing his place as the heir would drive a wedge into his focus. He was no longer with a clear head, and it showed in his faltering aim. The forest, which had initially favored him, seemed to lose its enchantment, and his shots went awry. My plan was working, and I couldn't help but smile to myself.

As Thomas missed another shot, his frustration grew evident. I seized the opportunity to take control of the situation. With a sly wink at Jonas, I veered off the path, determined to find a white-tailed deer. I knew exactly where to find one, and with just that one prize, victory would be within my grasp.

The forest around me was a realm of shadows and secrets, but I navigated it with the precision of a predator. Every rustle of leaves and distant chirping of birds became a symphony guiding me toward my goal. I could feel the pulse of the forest, the heartbeat of nature itself.

And then, there it was—a majestic white-tailed deer, peacefully grazing in a sunlit clearing. Its coat shimmered like pristine snow, and its elegant form exuded regal grace. This creature would be the key to securing my victory.

I raised my rifle, my hands steady and my aim true. The forest fell silent as I took a deep breath, feeling the weight of my purpose in that moment. This shot would not just bring down a deer; it would bring down the walls of Crimson Hollow and expose Nicodemo's secrets.

But just as I poised to take the shot, a woman's voice, soft and knowing, slipped into my consciousness. "Your stance is all wrong, you'll miss your shot. And it would be such a shame to lose to Thomas and not find out the dark secrets of Nicodemo."

I swivelled my head slightly, without compromising my shooting position, to find Volka standing at my side. Surprise and bewilderment warred within me. How had she approached so silently and swiftly? Mere seconds ago, she had been nowhere on the horizon.

Speaking in hushed tones to avoid startling the deer, I hissed,"Shut up, Volka. You'll scare it away." I recalled her enigmatic words at the prom, about watching over me, but I hadn't anticipated her materializing in the forest like a spectral guardian.
Her eyes gleamed with a steely resolve, and she nodded, grasping the importance of silence. Leaning closer, her breath brushed warmly against my ear. "Nero, I'm serious about my promise. Your safety matters to me, and to ensure it, you must uncover the truth about your father."