MARRY YOU NOT (Serval)

───── ❝ ANGST? ❞ ─────

PAIRING: Serval x Fem!Reader

CW: angst (?), unreciprocated love kinda, implied Cocolia x reader, arranged marriage,

SUMMARY: Members of prestigious families don't marry for love, and Serval has yet to realize that.

A/N: Just a warmup for what I want to write, hehe. This is the start of my 'writing Honkai Star Rail fanfics' arc. Expect more HSR fics to come ;)

WORDS: 1,025

──────────

"Hey, Cocolia," a bored Serval nudges Cocolia's shoulder. She was currently reading a book during her break from her academic activities. The two were currently in the private library of the Belobog Academy, away from the public, courtesy of Cocolia's status as the future Supreme Guardian. For Serval to have access was because she was Cocolia's best friend and a member of the prestigious Landau family. "Are Supreme Guardians allowed to marry?" Serval questions, earning a confused look on the older woman's face.

Cocolia sighs and places her book on the coffee table before looking at the younger woman. "Supreme Guardians do not need to marry because their heirs are chosen by the Architects. Hence, marriage to produce an heir is unnecessary." Her answer made Serval sigh. Her best friend is too invested in her duties. She understands that preparing to become Belobog's ruler in the future is a big responsibility, but she has no time for herself. Serval sighed, shaking her head as she crossed her arms. Azure eyes stare at amethyst ones with worry. "Marrying someone isn't for producing heirs, but to spend the rest of your life with the person you love, Cocolia. Don't you want to have someone who cares for you? Even if the Architects have already chosen an heir to succeed you?"

Cocolia couldn't help but chuckle incredulously. She and Serval may have been best friends since they were children, but she had never heard these words from Serval. All she would hear from the younger woman's lips were complaints about academics and her passion for music, not once about love. "I'm aware of what a marriage in the romantic aspect is, but it is simply impossible for my position. I have priorities, and finding love isn't one of them. People with statuses like ourselves would only marry for benefits, Serval."

Cocolia almost felt bad at how her words darkened Serval's mood, but they both knew she was right. The only kind of marriage that is common in the rich and influential class is an arranged marriage. Serval seemed hurt by reality, but she wished to keep hoping. Sensing the younger woman's dejection, Cocolia sighs. "Do you perhaps fancy someone and wish to marry them? You wouldn't ask me a question such as this out of the blue." She must've suspected correctly when Serval's face turned into a light shade of pink, causing her to widen her eyes in curiosity and surprise. "Serval, you..."

Serval immediately waved her hands in defense, shaking her head from embarrassment. Of course, her best friend would find out the moment she asked her a question about marriage. Her face was a darker shade of pink now. "N-No! It isn't like that!" Serval blushed, looking away to hide her face, but one glance at Cocolia's unamused expression made her grumble. "Fine... I do fancy someone," she clears her throat to calm herself. Her heart pounded out of her chest as a certain someone appeared in her mind, only darkening the blush across her face. Her best friend's silence prompted her to continue. "She's just... Beautiful... People may think differently of her due to her cold disposition, but if you see her real self, you'd be awestruck!"

Cocolia almost sees hearts in her best friend's eyes as she talks about this 'someone.' It was unlikely of her, and it piqued her interest. She wanted to know who made Serval fawn over them. "Is she someone I have encountered before?" The question catches Serval off guard. She expected a different reaction, but she wasn't complaining. However, Cocolia's interest may change when she learns who this 'someone' is. "Uhm..." Cocolia raises a brow at Serval's hesitance. "She's also from a prestigious family, but they don't get along with the Architects... So, uh..." Serval fancied someone from a family that gave Cocolia's ancestors a difficult time.

"Lord L/n and Lady L/n's only child, Young Lady Y/n?" Cocolia has met you but only for formalities. Although, she does find you to be an interesting one. At the mention of your name, Serval's eyes widen. Cocolia was right. Serval Landau is smitten with the one and only Y/n L/n, a cold-hearted and duty-driven young lady. You were around the same age as Gepard Landau. Your coldness and forwardness drove people away, irked by your unliveliness as you always focused on becoming the perfect heir to succeed your father. Despite your demeanor, Serval saw a glimpse of something that drew her to you: your flushed, embarrassed face. Serval was already interested in you, but seeing you put down your guard enamored her.

"What do you plan on doing, Serval? Lady Y/n mustn't hinder your academics." The younger woman sighed at Cocolia. First, she didn't know what to do since you were like her best friend: love wasn't your priority. Second, Cocolia was already too late to advise her as you've taken over the musician's head and heart, where her feelings grow every day. With determination on Serval's face, she boldly declares: "I plan to marry her. I want to pursue Y/n L/n."

Back to the present...

"I hereby announce Supreme Guardian, Madam Cocolia Rand, and Lady Y/n of the L/n family as wife and wife!" Serval dismissively chuckles as the priest's words bring her back to the present. How much of a fool she was to think she'd be able to marry you. You two have gotten closer since she declared that bold statement years ago. It's not like you didn't return her affections. See, Serval was too timid to risk your friendship, so a confession of her love didn't come your way. You were so close, yet so far, but now you're even further from her now that you involuntarily belong to someone who didn't want this marriage as much as you did. Serval is grateful you became Cocolia's wife because your father could've married you off to some bastard. She knows Cocolia will treat you right even if your union is diplomatic. Her best friend would never hurt you. However, Serval knows she could never have you, not anymore.