I don't need a relationship

H,

The door to my flower shop swung wide, with the bell indicating someone was in. It was five minutes past closing time, I had already pulled down the blinds, turned the sign, and was cleaning up before I went home.

I froze as Mitch wandered into my shop, looking at the flowers and smelling them. My friend walked to my counter, hopped on, and pushed his designer sunglasses to his long hair.

"We need to talk."

Mitch has been my friend, and neighbor, for many years now and it was the first time I was seeing him this serious and resolute.

"Nice to see you too, Mitch."

"Harry..."

"Yes?"

"You need someone." He explained. "A relationship."

My mouth fell open in shock and awe. I have been single for a whopping five years now and I have been fine. I have a flower shop, and a flat in the city, I am in attractive shape - I do not need a relationship!

"Okay..."

"I love you, mate. But...Sometimes Sarah and I want to spend time alone...together...as a couple..." Mitch explained softly. I squinted at him, finding this line of conversation odd. "And you're always...around."

"Around?"

"Yes. Around." Mitch repeated. "We want to go to dinner by ourselves or travel as a couple or...I don't know, fucking go to the movies just the two of us. We don't need to do everything together: the three of us."

"But we're friends."

"Yes, but she's my wife," Mitch explained with a sigh. "And you're a grown man who needs someone...who is not...us."

I leaned on my broom, looking at my friend. He had a point, though.

"Well, that's a lovely way to end a Friday."

"Harry, come on now-"

"I don't know whether to be offended. Or hurt. Or both."

"You know I'm right."

"You're forcing me to be in a relationship so you and Sarah could have some alone time. You can always say no to me, you know?"

"And deal with you pouting for a month-"

I took offense to their comment.

"I do not pout!"

"We went to dinner just the two of us last month at that new sushi place by the river, we didn't tell you and you did not respond to my calls! This is the first time I'm seeing you, Harry!" Mitch argued. "You pout. And you pout hard!"

I walked to my friend, standing next to him at my counter.

I knew Mitch was right. I have been single for a while now.

You see I had been going through a period of self-discovery.

Before that, I had been in a relationship with a lovely lady, named Taylor. We knew each other since we were young, grew up together, and were each other's first. I knew her family. She knew mine. In the perfect world, we were set for life, you know? However, as the years rolled by, what was once the perfect love story, turned out to be...a lie.

I felt I was living a lie and being untrue, unfair, and not matching what she wanted from me. We both wanted the same: a partner, marriage, and kids. That was never an argument. However, no matter how much I tried, I just...felt something was missing. I did enjoy her company, Taylor made me feel good about myself and we had a good relationship together. She had a nice smile, a great personality, was super smart, and was witty. The sex was great, but...I wasn't complete. I was battling internally. The conversation about our future got more serious with our parents, lowkey pressuring us into marriage and hinting about our future together - I began fleeting and avoiding the topic. I was sure about marriage; I just wasn't sure about it with Taylor.