I don't remember your name

Z,

two months later

Do you know the feeling of having a song playing in the back of your mind and you have no idea where or how it came to latch itself in your brain? Or when you see a scene, but you can't pinpoint the movie, the book, or the show?

He was like this.

But in a good way. The thought of him made me tingle and my chest itch. He would creep him in my quiet moments, with my mind tilting over to the look on his face when he smiled at me. A gorgeous smile with dimples and perfect teeth. If I focused enough, I could hear his voice saying my name.

Zayn.

I can't get his name or the look on his face out of my head. This has never happened to me before. I am usually straightforward with my approaches; I meet the person, state my intention, they state theirs, we do what we need to do and then we move on. I don't linger. It doesn't cross my mind even again or haunts my dreams.

But not him.

Even now, sitting across from my friend Anthony, as he preps to open the club, my mind is elsewhere. I was lost in pink lips and green eyes. My fingers remember the softness of his skin. My nose kept a detailed presentation of the scent of his fresh perfume, highlighting the cotton notes. My mouth watered with the taste of him.

Like velvet. A whisper. I remembered his name and I couldn't stop saying it myself.

Harry. Harry. Harry.

It came with a sigh, making me twist my neck and forcing me to focus on something else.

It was his eyes that I would see the most: How wide and innocent they looked but could easily translate his real intentions.

I made a huge mistake, I knew it.

I should've stayed put when Mitch told me about his friend who could be interesting, and I should take on a date. Mitch wouldn't shut up about it.

"He's cool. Come on!" Mitch insisted, on that Friday. He wasn't even working that day! It's like I was his target that afternoon. "He's normal. I promise! He's a florist-"

"A florist? How gay is he?"

"He doesn't like labels."

"Well, that's a red flag- "

"You don't either. I've seen you flirt with women- "

I shrugged "Takes on to know one, I guess."

"I promise you, he's a normal lad- "

"The fact that you have to highlight that, Mitch-"

"I promise you. Harry is just lonely."

I grabbed my backpack from under the counter and placed it on my back.

"And I'm the coping mechanism for your friend's loneliness."

Mitch shrugged. "I guess. I don't know. Listen, I just want him to have a good time. To be distracted-"

"And I'm a distraction as well! I'm doing a lot of things here, Mitch."

"Oh, shut it. You love the attention."

I showed him a proud smile. "I do."

I walked around the counter. The club was quiet since it was still a few hours before the doors opened. My friends were already prepping and sound testing. The stage set behind, me as I walked towards the front door with Mitch as my shadow blabbing this Harry. I looked at the second floor and whistled. My best friend Anthony looked down and scoffed seeing me on my way out. He saluted me and I saluted back.