8 | Iseul's Story

Choi Iseul

Sometimes, when you wish to hide something from the world, it somehow gets out. No matter how hard you try to hide it. I had already been through that and suffered enough.

I never once imagined I'd be willing to tell someone about my past on my own after going through everything that happened when the last time I decided to confide in someone.

I can't believe I let myself consider that oppertunity even after going through that consequences of doing so.

With these thoughts, I quickly ran out of school, getting stares from people around me.

But I didn't care. I just wanted to flee as far as possible.

I can't believe I was about to make the same mistake again. I'm so fucking dumb.

I don't know what exactly it is, but there's just something about the way he looks at me which makes me feel like he can see everything that's going on inside my head.

It almost feels like he'll understand me if I ever decided to tell him anything.

Which is just insane, because I've barely known him for about a month. But I've always had this feeling at the back of my mind ever since I saw the way he looked at me back on the rooftop on my first day at this school. A feeling which told me that he could see right through me.

I turned out to be right in the end, afterall. He had been observing me this whole time, and the thing which I was afraid of happened.

He saw me in my weak state again.

For some reason, I didn't feel like pushing him away this time. Maybe because I was too tired, both mentally and physically.

So when he told me how he was willing to help me, that selfish side of mine came out again, hoping to be comforted after being alone for so long. I hated myself for that. I hated that I gave in too easily.

But that's human nature, isn't it? We try to seek comfort in whatever we find, even forgetting how the result of this selfishness could affect us.

I soon came to my senses though. Before I could make any mistakes and ruin my highschool life as well.

I fell onto the floor of my living room the moment I unlocked the door.

I closed my eyes as the memory from two years ago came in front of my vision, making me feel like it was just yesterday when all of this happened.

I was in my room, doing my homework at night, when I suddenly heard my parents yelling at each other. Out of curiosity and concern, I went towards their room, and heard a few bits and pieces of their conversation.

"You don't fucking realise the gravity of the situation, Changwoo!" My mother screamed at my father.

I was hidden behind the door, listening in on their conversation from a small opening in the door.

"Lower down your volume, honey. We don't want Iseul overhearing us." My father said, trying to calm down my mother's temper.

"I don't care! Do you even realise what you have done?" She screamed at him.

"I did it for us, darling. For our future and for our daughter. We won't have to worry about money ever again!" He said.

I took a peek at them, and was surprised to see my mother crying. My father was holding her shoulders, trying to comfort her.

"No one will ever know, Juwon-ah. Unless you decide to tell them." He said, looking into her eyes.

I was just getting more and more confused with every word they said.