29 | Arcade

Choi Iseul

"If only you did things like a good daughter would." My mom slurred out, throwing the empty glass bottle towards me. I barely managed to miss it as it hit the wall behind me.

It had gotten this way for the past few days. I didn't know what she had been going through at work, but she came back home being drunk out of her wits every single day, most of the times taking out her anger on me.

It was the first time where she caused any sort of physical harm to me, though.

At school, I barely escaped Jiyeon's grasp. And at home? My mom made sure that I regretted my existence every single day.

"I wish you never existed." She said one last time before turning towards her room, leaving me alone in the living room with a huge mess to clean.

With a sigh, I wiped my cheek which had a slight cut because of the glass shards.

That night wasn't going to be any better, I just knew.

***

School was just the usual for the next few days, dull and boring. I had to make up an excuse for the wounds on my body, which of course everyone believed.

Finally, for the first time in a while, something worth bringing a smile on my face happened.

"Iseul!" Seungmin greeted me with a wide smile. "Me, Hyunjin, Changbin and Chaeryeong are going to the arcade after school. Wanna join us?"

"I'd love to but-"

"No excuses, the food will be on me. You're coming and that's final." Changbin declared all of a sudden.

"This is why I love being friends with rich people." Chaeryeong giggled.

"You, my friend, look way too stressed these days." Hyunjin said, grabbing my shoulders. "Take a chill pill. Also, don't worry about the rest. They're a little mad about you not telling about your relationship-"

"We're not dating." Seungmin said, interrupting us. "So you all better stop leaving her out."

Changbin choked on his drink. "W-What? But we thought..."

"You guys were wrong, alright? We just grew closer as friends." Seungmin clarified.

"Oh god, but Jiyeon said she saw you too kissing-" Hyunjin began.

"She what?" Seungmin said with wide eyes. "Why would she say that?"

"So you guys didn't?" Chaeryeong was shocked.

"Um.. no." I mumbled, a relief washing over me as a single problem detangled itself.

"Man, she must've misunderstood or something." Chaeryeong pondered.

"Probably mistook someone else for us, considering that she's new here." Said Seungmin.

"Oh shit, it's almost time for class." Changbin suddenly interrupted as we were discussing the weird situation, which were much weirder to the others, not me. I knew Jiyeon and the lengths she could go to.

"Let's discuss this later, alright?"

"We better go, or Mr Jong will kill us." Hyunjin shuddered, earning a laugh from the rest.

"Why the sudden plan to go to the arcade though?" I questioned the drama queen.

"Um, well you see... You remember the assignment from the art club? I know you don't attend the club meetings that much, but the theme for this month was moments with friends. I just wanted to draw something related to that, and since you're basically family, I kinda thought you'd find it helpful too." Hyunjin beamed.